New Rasboras With Ammonia Poisoning? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Phish111, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Phish111

Phish111Valued MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 36 G
    Does it have a filter? Y
    Does it have a heater? Y
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Angelfish, 7 Panda Cory Cats, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Mystery Snails, 8 Harlequin Rasboras

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Just started Bi-weekly
    How much of the water do you change? 30 %
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? As needed

Parameters

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Semi, started as fishless and added a few at the end of cycle
    What do you use to test the water? API kit
    What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 40
    pH: 7.8

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? Daily
    How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can eat in 3 minutes
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra Super Color Flakes, Reg Tetra Flakes, Shrimp Pellets, Algae Wafer
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Not recently

Illness & Symptoms:

How long have you had this fish? 2 days
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
    In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? White mouth/jaw that seems to be stuck open, red around gills on a few of the fish
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I noticed
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The sickest one has white around mouth, red gills, corkscrew swimming once, swimming erraticly, jerky movements

Please explain your emergency in the best detail possible. (Please use this area to tell us the story of when this emergency began and leading up to now.)
    Upon buying these fish, I put in my QT tank. There was a very noticeable ammonia spike in QT and all fish seemed in distress, I made a split second decision to move to main tank as I couldn't get ammonia under control. They have been there all day while I have been at work.

Before I left at 5 pm, I noticed the sickest Rasbora corkscrew swimming. Upon getting off work at midnight he was a lot worse by looking at. The gills were extremely red, mouth much whiter and more swollen, erratic/jerky movements. A couple other Rasboras also have the white mouth and red gills. Ammonia poisoning? What can I do for them? I ran out of Prime on last water change yesterday so will have to get some in the morning and only have Melafix, Erithro, and a small pack of Tetra AquaSafe that came w 10 gallon. Help!!

Video and Pics below

Pics

RasA1.jpgRasa.jpgRasA3.jpgRase.jpgRasB.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    Phish111

Update: The worst one pictured has disappeared in my tank, I've looked high and low for him. The 2nd worst one is in a tupperwear container floating in the top of my tank to keep warm. He is upside down and can only right himself for a second or two then back upside down. Fixing to make a run to Wal-mart for some Clove Oil it appears. :( Can someone give me a quick dosage on Clove Oil please? Sad part is, I'm certified to Euth small companion animals, as a Vet Tech, but not a fish. :'( It's just not meant for me to have Rasbora's. Poor babies.

3. Aquarius_in_nyc

Aquarius_in_nycValued MemberMember

So sorry to hear about your loss and experience with your Rasboras. So did you buy all 8 at once? How big is your QT tank? I am wondering how you got an ammonia spike so quickly.

4. OP
    OP
    Phish111

Thank you, I lost 2 back to back. I have 6 remaining and one appears like he has no upper lip? Yes, I had them ordered thru a mom and pop store that I trust. My previous experience w Rasboras was with a franchise pet store.

My QT tank is 10 gallons w a 20 Quietflow filter. I just did a 80% WC and STILL am reading an ammonia spike!! What the crap?? I don't get it. This defies everything I know about fish keeping. (Which isn't much, BUT still??) I just don't understand it. I have some old white sand substrate, a few decorations. 2 Pond snails that I keep to "test" the water parameters and bc I don't want to kill them. lol

Could there be something in the filter?? The filter that came with the 10 gallon crapped out last week so I switched a 2nd one that I had been running on my 36 g to the 10 g. I stuffed the media from the one that stopped working on the 10 g, and brought just a little media from the filter I had been running as a second on my 36.. (If that makes sense) As not to cause a mini-cycle. But still yet, I'm not thinking of anything that could cause a spike like this.

I'm doing everything trying to get the ammonia down short of emptying the tank completely. I really need ISO right now for these remaining Rasboras. Or should I just ride it out in the main tank? I'm sorry I'm tired at this point and don't want to lose any more fish. :(

Oh and to rule out the test kit, I'm testing with the same bottles simultaneously for the 10 and the 36 Gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    Phish111

Started treating 36 g with Melafix on Monday, the 5 remaining Rasboras were looking good, eating well, etc until yesterday. Then they started showing same symptoms on mouth. I'm doing 25% water changes daily, Amm 0 Nit 0 Nit 20, pH 7.6, temp 82. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the one in the pics and focused in on the video soon. :( Continuing Melafix TX until Monday.

Can anyone tell me their opinion on what this is? Columnaris? Fungal? I just don't know how to proceed next if the Melafix doesn't work. Kanaplex and Furan2 or ? Please help!! The first video was taken about 5 hours ago, the second taken just now. I'm afraid he's not going to make it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM
  6. Aquarius_in_nyc

Aquarius_in_nycValued MemberMember

I'm sorry to hear this and I hope someone comes along soon with some help. The only thing I highly recommend is increasing your daily water change from 25% to 50% and using Prime water Conditioner. From my recent experience it's what helped me save a Corydora I thought for sure I was going to lose.
    If you've already done your daily 25% do another 25%. If you haven't already done one today then do a 50% or even 60% water change with Prime IMHO it could only help.
    Good luck to you.

7. OP
    OP
    Phish111

Thank you for your response! I woke up to find the rasbora in the pic at the bottom of the tank dead. :( I'm going to follow your advice and up my water changes to two 25% a day. I'll split them up 12 hrs apart. And yes, I use Prime religiously. I'll continue the Melafix til Monday, which will be its 7 day course and re-evaluate from there. It's just so frustrating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice