New Rasboras - Is This Ich?

CraniumRex
I hope these pictures come through okay.

I have a few new rasboras and some look like they have sparkles on them. Not really white - they are more iridescent. When I shine a light from above it doesn’t look like velvet so I’m wondering if this is normal colour variation or possibly ich.

I’ve looked at so many photos but these don’t look like sugar or salt - the dots are so tiny and really I can only describe it as “sparkly”

I’ve never had rasboras before so not sure what I’m looking at.

They are all active and swimming and eating.

Thoughts?

Let me know if you need better photos - but I took about 50 to get these - they are fast!! The first two pics they look "normal", the one picture with two fish is to show how different one looks from the other and the last photo I hope really shows what I'm seeing.

Thanks for any input.

PS do their gills look red to you? Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. pH is 7.8

4F6327DC-CCCA-416C-BC60-E566D0DAB891.png
E76244BF-E2A8-4681-BA59-EC6417647C8B.png
2F8465FF-B5CA-4411-A270-4346AF345108.png
A8E8756F-A47E-4E71-A211-67501F19C4D1.png

KaitKat
I have a couple black Mollies that had Ich and it looked almost like tons of larger white grains of sand stuck to them. On my light blue fish, the ich looked a little more sparkly- like I could barely tell it was there. I think it might be either white or slightly sparkly depending on what color scales it's on top of (just what I've seen in my tank). It might be Ich but it is kind of hard to tell in those pictures. Idk if this is good advice but maybe wait until tomorrow and see if anything shows up on the black part of the fish? Its definitely easier to tell against black.

CraniumRex
Thanks kitkatfish - not sure if I am being overly cautious. They just don’t all look the same and this has me concerned. I really appreciate your thoughts!

KaitKat
You're welcome! I'd put the ones that look sick in a different tank (if you're able to) until someone else chimes in. Then, if its nothing, yay! but if it is ich then they won't infest the whole tank.

Cyclsnipas
If you are not positive its definitely Ich, I'd avoid using any meds as it may not be necessary. Assuming you don't have any heat sensitive occupants, you could crank the heat up to around 86 degrees for 2 weeks. The heat will kill any Ich spores that are on your fish as well as in the tank. If the spots go away then you know.

CraniumRex
Thanks very much Cyclsnipas - I’ve read so many articles and looked at so many photos I’m dizzy. I’ll double check on temp sensitivity and crank the heat.

I keep the tank at 78.5 so I will up it and add extra aeration. Thanks again

Cyclsnipas
Thanks very much Cyclsnipas - I’ve read so many articles and looked at so many photos I’m dizzy. I’ll double check on temp sensitivity and crank the heat.

I keep the tank at 78.5 so I will up it and add extra aeration. Thanks again

Glad I could help! Typically, the Ich spots will go away in a few days. But keeps the temp up for the complete 2 weeks even if there are no visual signs of Ich. If that's what it actually is of course

CraniumRex
Time will tell. I hope not but I do believe I’m seeing some redness in the gills. Checking parameters again and will probably do a water change every day or other day - I understand it can get rid of some of the tomites and lessen possibility of reinfection. What’s a water bill?? Thanks again.

Sel
All I can tell you that I do see something there and my rasboras don't have that. Mine have been confirmed to look very healthy, here's a picture of mine from today for comparison:

AllieSten
I think it looks just like ich to me. I don’t think you are being too cautious at all. I would start treatment ASAP.

CraniumRex
Thanks Sel - some of mine actually look like that but some of them don't - thank you for posting that picture, very helpful.

Thanks AllieSten. I tend to be a bit of a worrywart but you have helped me confirm I'm not imagining things or jumping to conclusions. I have Kanaplex, ParaGuard, PolyGuard and PimaFix in my cupboard. Should I just use heat for now or d'you think treat?

I have loaches in the tank as well but coaxed them out with algae wafers. No signs of ich on them (so far) so I'm hesitant to medicate given their possible sensitivity. I'm leaning toward just heat for now - I know the kuhlis can take it but not so sure about the rasboras. Some sites have said 82 deg will kill ich, others say crank up to 86.

Maybe I'll push it to 84. I'd like to use my best judgement, but given my lack of experience with ich, I don't feel like I have any.

Cyclsnipas
The rasboras will be fine. I've dealt with Ich with Harli's before and the heat didn't bother them one bit. Just raise the temp, do bi-daily water changes, and up your aeration. Things should work out fine.

Bi-daily meaning every other day not twice daily of course lol sorry just wanted to clarify

CraniumRex
Lol thank you Cyclsnipas - I appreciate the clarification. I’d change it twice a day if it would help but every other day sounds much better to me.

Your help has been invaluable and I feel much less worried about everything!! Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!

Cyclsnipas
You are very welcome. Good luck with the Harli's. Let us know if you need any more assistance and how things are going.

CraniumRex
Update:

The heat will kill any Ich spores that are on your fish as well as in the tank. If the spots go away then you know.

After fighting with my heater a little (a whole other story) I got the temp up to 86 by Friday mid-day. I added 2 airstones and dropped the water level so my 2x HOB's could provide better aeration.

• Performed a 30% WC on Saturday. Fish eating and tolerating the heat well, far as I can tell. Infected rasboras seem okay - Nobody flashing or gasping for air.
  • Was able to see most of my loaches (but not all - I have 12 and have only seen 8 or 9 of them - some concern there but they tend to hide so...)
  • None of the loaches have any spots so far (knocking on wood, time will tell)
  • I fed everybody this morning and noticed that the 5 of my 12 rasboras who had white spots on them had overall fewer spots. Not 100% gone, just noticeably fewer.
  • This made me feel like some of the cysts had burst and now I have the little so-and-so's in my water and on substrate
  • Performed a 50% WC just now and vacuumed the substrate and decor really well (if only I kept my house so clean)
  • Will test parameters in a few hours to make sure my cleaning hasn't messed up my cycle, TDS remains relatively stable (197 pre WC, now 186)

No salt or meds at this point - I know they will work faster/better but I'm not willing to risk the loaches.
For anyone reading this who has kuhlI loaches, have you had success with any medication? I have Paraguard, Polyguard, Kanaplex and PimaFix.

Cyclsnipas
Heaters can be a little finicky lol. Glad to hear you're seeing less ich spores. At this point just stick with the heat treatment. Adding any meds will cause extra stress in an already stressful situation. The heat may not work as fast as meds but it is killing all of the ich in the tank without compromising your beneficial bacteria like some meds can. Be patient. You'll get through this.

CraniumRex
Thanks Cyclsnipas - you know you're my Ich Sherpa Guide, right?

Patience is not something I typically have in abundance but I'm sticking with heat for sure. My dad, a now-retired old school GP, calls this "tincture of time" and he's right that this approach can and does work. In fish or humans, the go-to is "gimme a pill, fix this NOW!!" His joke for patients who would come in with a cold was, "Well, I can give you this and it will be cured in a week. Or you can take nothing and it will be done in 7 days." LOL.

Thanks again for your guidance, encouragement, and support.

Cyclsnipas
I to am guilty of lack of patience lol. I'm in the process of figuring out a new aqua-scape for my 65. A buddy of mine who is all about "slow and steady wins the race" is constantly advising me to slow down, take my time and do it right. Wise advice I know...but you know how it is...we're all to used to instant gratification nowadays.

CraniumRex
I have to admit that the planning on my 55 was a lot of fun - I started the plans last July and I only set it up in January. What do you have so far for the 65? Do you have a build thread going? Enquiring minds want to know!

You tell your buddy that "slow and steady wins the race" but what about, "he who hesitates is lost"?

I always figure that a stitch in time might save nine, but lack of speed doesn't always indicate quality. It could just mean inefficient. LOL.

Cyclsnipas
I have to admit that the planning on my 55 was a lot of fun - I started the plans last July and I only set it up in January. What do you have so far for the 65? Do you have a build thread going? Enquiring minds want to know!

You tell your buddy that "slow and steady wins the race" but what about, "he who hesitates is lost"?

I always figure that a stitch in time might save nine, but lack of speed doesn't always indicate quality. It could just mean inefficient. LOL.

Nope no build thread. It is a mature planted tank, I'm just bored with it lol. But in my buddies defense, he advised me that from the get-go and here I am with a tank I'm a little meh about lol. I did pick up a super nice piece of driftwood yesterday, to replace the current piece, and a large bunch of show quality Java Fern

CraniumRex
LOL, no disrespect intended to your buddy - he's right of course!

Well I hope you post before and afters in the Show Off Your Fish Tank thread. Or somewhere! I'm always looking for inspiration. I admit I took my time with mine and have so far been pleased with the result (barring this ich nonsense that I am determined to beat) but I know I have much to learn.

Cyclsnipas

20180130_215817.jpg

Cyclsnipas
Forgive my crooked photo

CraniumRex
Oh wow thank you for posting this! I saw your other post with the java fern and kept thinking dang wish I could see the whole tank.

I love this - wow so lush and jungly and I love the different textures and colours. I can’t believe you are “meh” about this tank but also look forward to seeing what you create. The stump is cool - a real biotope feel. Are you saying you’re replacing that??

Are those crypts at the front? WendtiI maybe Tropica with the hammered leaves? And the bronze coloured one - ooh nice!

Can’t wait to see the progression but honestly I love it like it is.

CraniumRex
Here’s mine when I first put it together. It’s a mess today - I moved some things trying to vacuum under everything so it’s a mess but I’m hoping everything fills in. The wood is so much darker now - and I’ve been able to take the rock off it as well. I would love to know those dark and bronze crypts you have because I just love them and I think I need deeper colours
F02E0B08-2B87-41DC-B346-57F0CA6D33D5.jpeg

Cyclsnipas
Thank you so much. The tanks been a real love, hate relationship and it photographs well lol. I feel like it looks better than in person tbh.

Those ARE bronze wendtiI in the front. They're my favorite by far. I was lucky to buy those grown submerged so I dealt with virtually no melt. They were doing awesome until a swarm of ramshorn snails started chomping on the stems. I'm hoping they make a comeback.

My main problem with the tank is there's not much swimming room. The stump pretty much dominates the tank and the tall plants take up what little space is left. Especially being only 36" long.

I like your layout soooo much better. It's beautiful and along the lines of what I'm looking to do. LOVE the spiderwood, rocks and the nice open areas for the fish to swim around.

I did buy a piece of driftwood but now I'm debating using it. I'm toying with cutting the roots off of the left side of the stump and moving it all the way left and back a little. Then adding some long branchy pieces that spread across. Who knows...

CraniumRex
It's funny, you perhaps think yours looks too full - I am loving how lush it all is and think mine looks pretty sparse. I actually think taking the stump all the way left and back would look pretty cool (but you can see I have a penchant for off-centre). It might give you the room you want. I wish I knew how to lay small stones like you have - it looks very natural. Tall tanks are hard for me to work with but you have lots of visual interest height-wise.

I got the rocks at a local stone place for pretty cheap. They told me it was lace rock and I'm pretty sure it is - it hasn't messed with my pH so I'm glad of that. I do find it a bit sharp, though, and I hope the kuhlI loaches who call it home don't find it too irritating.

I don't see any damage on your beautiful crypts, either. I am definitely going to try to find some here for my tank as I really love the colouration. Speaking of colouration, seems to me your fish look incredibly happy and healthy. I guess redoing it can be fun - you might be your own worst critic, though

Hope you can keep me posted on your progress.

Cyclsnipas
The crypts used to be much fuller believe it or not. The snails sit at the base and chomp away. I had leaves floating all over. They also did a number on my Myrio and Hygrophilia. I added some assassin snails which helped.

The stones were kind of an after thought. I tossed them in randomly and hated them at first but as they grew algae and bio-film on them they blended in better

I don't know if you can see it but I have a molded 3d background that simulates a grey stone wall. I also want to incorporate that into the tank further with some stone work.

I have so many ideas it's nerve wracking lol. I'm happy to have support from fine folks like you.

But to bring back the original topic, how are your fishies doing??? Any change in the Ich situation???

CraniumRex
First, yes I can see the 3D background - it certainly adds a lot of depth to the tank! I do like the algae and bio-film on the stones. I guess that's the lesson of patience, right? Because the placement is great and they look like they belong.

For the fish, thanks for asking, they all seem okay. I have one little rasbora that seems out of sorts still - he doesn't stick with the school as much and he as a very large cyst on his side. He's still eating and seems to be breathing okay so I'll keep an eye on him. I'm getting very good at counting them....

I saw all my orange and black kuhlis today - 4 for 4, and counted 6, possibly 7, out of 8 of the other kind. I'm worried most about their breathing being at the bottom but they don't seem to be in any distress and I don't see any white spots on them. Did a 25% WC this morning with a lot of vacuuming. Parameters all good and my plants seem to be tolerating the heat not too badly. At day 5, so just watching and waiting and doing a lot of more of the same. Thanks again!

Cyclsnipas
Good sounds like you're making progress. BUT what's this about a large cyst on one of the Harli's??? Is it Ich or some kind of growth???

CraniumRex
It is next to impossible to get a photo right now - I had lights out at 9:30 but it's a raised white (round) spot, larger than the other ones I have seen, in the black area of his markings right above his analfin on his left side. I'm in the process of setting up my hospital tank for him right now if there is no improvement. I don't want to stress him further but I would say 50% of the time he acts like everyone else and 50% he sort of hangs on his own, which concerns me. I will isolate him tomorrow if he seems any worse.

Cyclsnipas
Thsn
I LOVE the tree stump in this photo. Did you purchase it or where did you acquire it?
Thx,
tl3

Thank you . I picked that up from one of my local fish stores. Depending on what I end up doing with my rescape it might be going bye bye... I'm really not sure yet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Top Bottom