New Rainbows

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My missus just bought 4 of these guys today to go in the 180gal. The pic is pretty bad so i've included a pic from a google search so you can see what they turn out like. Melanotaenia Duboulayi, probably the most spectacular Rainbowfish I've ever seen.

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! Absolutely beautiful Nutter! Congrats. Thank you Mrs. Nutter!

Ken

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh wow those are crazy awesome. Let's hope they color up real fast.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Those are the most beautiful rainbowfish I've ever seen!drool

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never seen those before! Wowza!

-Lisa

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are lovely! I've been toying with the idea of converting my tank to a rainbowfish tank (eventually -- probably Pseudomugil sp. because it's a fairly small tank), and now I know who to bug with my first line of questions before I start making a fool of myself on the rainbowfish forums.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Those are great, just got me wishing for more. I can't believe how colorful they are, I've never seen them before.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
whoa. that. is. AMAZING!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They put my yellows to shame. I'm actually heading out to the LFS to go get some more....

I bet you have an awesome selection of rainbows, since they come from your part of the world

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Those are gorgeous! Geez, between you and Jaysee getting new rainbows, I feel like I need to upgrade tanks so I can get some too.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone. There are a couple of colour morphs of the Duboulayi available. One is the really colourfull one that we got & I posted, over here it's called a Kangaroo Creek Duboulayi & there's a plainer blue one that looks very much like Parkinsoni but isn't.

Jaysee, you would think that we would have a good selection of Rainbows over here seeing many of them are native to Australia but that isn't the case. They are not all that popular because people don't want to wait for the fish to colour up as adults so many LFS don't stock them. Also as stupid as this is going to sound, it is actually illegal to go out & catch Rainbows from the wild in Australia. Not sure why yet, I only just found this fact out yesterday when I was talking to the owner of the LFS we bought these from.

Meenu, if your 30gal stocking list is current you could squeeze in 5 of the smaller Rainbows, though they might drive your Hatchets nuts with all their activity.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 2 rainbows see piccy and oh boy are these active fish they zip about all over the place, nice fish though I was not sure at first my stepson bought them for me but with there attutude they soon grew on me

22.jpg

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wow...what knock outs...thanks for the info...I finally found another fish that I just could get really interested in!!!!..lol

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Love'em...planning on getting some myself...great colors

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i love rainbows, i was at my lfs yesterday and i was admiring them. when my upgrade happens, i'll be getting some. though i don't know if they'll be like nutter's! those are fab.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nutter said:
Meenu, if your 30gal stocking list is current you could squeeze in 5 of the smaller Rainbows, though they might drive your Hatchets nuts with all their activity.
Hmm... really? Okay, something to think about. Guess I'm going to bug Jaysee again about my stock...

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just reminded me, I was at petsmart a few nights ago and they had a tank full of rainbows for $1 each, not sure what kind they were but they looked healthy.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The ones on sale right now are the Australians, I think. They get to be 8 inches big. (I haven't researched this - someone told me that)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
The ones on sale right now are the Australians, I think. They get to be 8 inches big. (I haven't researched this - someone told me that)
Oh my. Yes they seemed to be fairly large sized on average in there, around 2-3 inches each. And it's rare that they have any full grown fish, so they could definitely be juveniles, I did however see a group of 4 or 5 emerald green corys all ranging from 1" to about 4", but given that they were 8 bucks apiece they may have had them for a while

They had a tank full of red belly pacus the size of half dollars, maybe next week they'll have some that will still be unhatched eggs.

and OT, but I saw a tank of wonder killies, and a few of them had very curved spines, some curved both upwards and downwards making 'humps' in the fishes shape. Is this normal for killies? They were all $1 also, both straight and curved ones =/

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome looking fish Nutter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads