New rainbow sharks

Penguin225

I recently wanted to add a couple more fish to my 29 gallon tank I went and got two rainbow sharks thinking that would be fine after my little research I did before hand ultimately not my greatest part as a fishkeeper for me not doing research before getting them after acclimating them and such I did some more research and it was saying they needed a bigger tank the size varied from each website some said 40,55, 75 gallon and im looking at upgrading when I can afford a tank and stand because it said they can be up to 6 inches so I'm wondering what size tank should I try to upgrade too and can the two still live in the same tank together they are currently doing okay in the 29 but knowing they will grow I know I have to upgrade any suggestions are helpful

A201

The bigger the tank the less chances of conspecific aggression.
You have time, a six inch Rainbow Shark would be a huge one. It takes awhile to reach that size.
A 40 breeder, would be a minimum size, but bigger is always better.

Penguin225

Thank you we were think of upgrading to a 55 or 75gallon but we haven't decided yet

MacZ

Oh my... be ensured, this happens quite often sadly.

Now the hard part: Long term - unless you are able and willing to provide the optimal conditions, which are demanding - you will have to rehome one and get a tank of at least 120, better 150cm, length by 60cm footprint for the other one. 75 gallons and more usually have that dimensions, the hight is not that important though. Tankmates will have to be robust. Bigger loaches, cichlids, catfish...

Optimal conditions would be a group of 6-8 in a 450 liter (roughly 125 gallons) or bigger tank. But as this is absolutely not what an average aquarist has and/or can afford, nobody can expect this from you.

So... yeah. Rehome one and give the other one a good sized tank in which it can go berzerk without killing half the tankmates.

Penguin225

Oh my... be ensured, this happens quite often sadly.

Now the hard part: Long term - unless you are able and willing to provide the optimal conditions, which are demanding - you will have to rehome one and get a tank of at least 120, better 150cm, length by 60cm footprint for the other one. 75 gallons and more usually have that dimensions, the hight is not that important though. Tankmates will have to be robust. Bigger loaches, cichlids, catfish...

Optimal conditions would be a group of 6-8 in a 450 liter (roughly 125 gallons) or bigger tank. But as this is absolutely not what an average aquarist has and/or can afford, nobody can expect this from you.

So... yeah. Rehome one and give the other one a good sized tank in which it can go berzerk without killing half the tankmates.
Okay I will try to find a way to rehome the one I'm not in an area where there's tons of pet stores or aquatic store or people so it may take some time

A201

Rainbow Sharks aren't nearly as aggressive as their cousin, the Red Tail Shark. IMO, Really no need to rehome anytime soon.

Dunk2

This Rainbow started in a 32 gallon almost 3 years ago. I transferred him to a 75 after about 5 or 6 months.

While the plan was always to house him long-term in a 75, I chose to limit my Shark count to 1.

He’s now between 5” - 6” and, other than at feeding time, is my most peaceful fish. But I do keep mostly Cichlids. :D

631744BA-B05A-491E-A7EA-05A1028AAD49.jpeg

Penguin225

This Rainbow started in a 32 gallon almost 3 years ago. I transferred him to a 75 after about 5 or 6 months.

While the plan was always to house him long-term in a 75, I chose to limit my Shark count to 1.

He’s now between 5” - 6” and, other than at feeding time, is my most peaceful fish. But I do keep mostly Cichlids. :D

631744BA-B05A-491E-A7EA-05A1028AAD49.jpeg
Hes gorgeous abd tha k you all for the advice I will be planning on upgrading and trying to find a new home for one I they become aggressive to eachothher so far they are doing fine together and they haven't bothered the other fish too much but my plan is to get a different tank for the sharks and get some other fish for the new tank to go with them

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mix
Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
eperc002
Replies