New Quarantine Setup

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
So I was just going to get one of those 10 gallon plastic totes ($5) instead of spending 15+ for just a 10 gallon tank with no lid. My question is, do I need a clear one or would the colored ones be fine? Also, do I need lights for it? Any thing else I need to get? I know I need to get a filter and heater.

Also, when I got my kit it came with a preset Tetra heater. I believe it was the 100 watt one. Would that be okay to use as a heater in this or do I need to get one with lower watts?
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
ValerieAdams said:
So I was just going to get one of those 10 gallon plastic totes ($5) instead of spending 15+ for just a 10 gallon tank with no lid. My question is, do I need a clear one or would the colored ones be fine? Also, do I need lights for it? Any thing else I need to get? I know I need to get a filter and heater.
Filter and heater. Dont worry about clear. It's not critical. Lighting is also not a critical attribute unless you have plants in there too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
Filter and heater. Dont worry about clear. It's not critical. Lighting is also not a critical attribute unless you have plants in there too.
I don't have plants, just wanted to make sure the colored wouldn't be too dark for them. Do you think the tetra heater would work?
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
1,008
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
ValerieAdams said:
I don't have plants, just wanted to make sure the colored wouldn't be too dark for them. Do you think the tetra heater would work?
The heater should be fine. Just maintain the temp and those work pretty well.
 

Western

Valued Member
Messages
86
Reaction score
18
Points
43
Experience
3 years
I used a plastic tub but dont make the mistake of thinking you can cycle and leave operational for the next time you have a casualty as if it is not BPA free plastic it can leech harmfull toxins from the plastic over time but short term it works.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Western said:
I used a plastic tub but dont make the mistake of thinking you can cycle and leave operational for the next time you have a casualty as if it is not BPA free plastic it can leech harmfull toxins from the plastic over time but short term it works.
If I were to find a BPA free one would it work?
 

Western

Valued Member
Messages
86
Reaction score
18
Points
43
Experience
3 years
ValerieAdams said:
If I were to find a BPA free one would it work?
I dont see why not im not sure on the effects it has on fish however the bpa resin most company's use can be effected by heat and other variables causing it to leech the toxins in to the water but i would definatley say if you could find a bpa free container it would be better than having a plastic tub that contains the bpa resin
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Western said:
I dont see why not im not sure on the effects it has on fish however the bpa resin most company's use can be effected by heat and other variables causing it to leech the toxins in to the water but i would definatley say if you could find a bpa free container it would be better than having a plastic tub that contains the bpa resin
Maybe I’ll just go with the glass and pay the extra $10 to have it long term
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom