New QT kind of a diaster

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I decided to go the bin route for my new QT its a 7.5 sterilite bin . The problems started in the store they didnt have any clear bins big enough for a QT so this 1 has the foggy sides which makes it hard to see the fish clearly but i was in a hurry. Then i bought an air pump to power the sponge filter and i didnt check the box first air pump is totally different then the 1 pictured its 1 they dont even sell at walmart and they were out of airline tubeing . Then my check valve broke , the heater isnt fully submersable but hangs on the back with a clamp so i filled the bin more only for a gallon of water to leak onto the floor threw holes i didnt relize were there. I filled the holes with silcone but that wont be cured for 2 days so i had to use the heater from my empty 5 g which is only rated fpr tanks up to 5g for the weekend till i could fill the bin fully. I got 2 guppies and 1 peppered cory aclimated them in the 29 which had a similar water temp and then added them to the 7.5 when i was finished setting it up

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Wow, that does sound like a bit of a disaster!
    Sorry you had to deal with that!

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

The disasters continue i siliconed all the holes but 1 didnt take so i had to redue it. So now its thursday i cut a notch in the lid for the heater and put the lid on but the tub was so full it just flooded threw all the holes in the lid so that was about a half inch under the water.i sucked up that water but then the fill to line in the heater was above the water so i ended up just sticking the heater in the feeding hold idk how im supossed to feed the fish now but at least the proper heaters in the tank.

4. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

It is a disaster when *simple* solutions don't work!

5. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Yeah this heaters been a real pain in my butt why do they even make heaters thst arent fully submersable thats just dumb

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Heres the tank the thing hangig down i the middle is the heater

Attached Files:

7. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

It certainly would never have occurred to me that a heater these days wouldn't be submersible! I admit they aren't attractive in the tank but...

8. frogfan Well Known Member Member

This heaters kind of neat u can see all the wires and heating element i like seeing how things work so tge look dosent bother me