New Pulsing Xenia not looking so hot.

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought my Pulsing Xenia Monday, he was small, about the size of a man's thumb tip, pink, pulsing, and cute. $10! I temp acclimated, then added a cup of my tank water every 5 minutes until I doubled his bag water. I put him at the bottom of my tank, about a foot and a half down from the lights and in a low flow area. My tank has been running for about a year. I have Panorama Pro/Stunner LED lights on for about 7 hours a day, salinity 1.024, calcium 475, alk 12, ph 8, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, phosphate 0, ammonia 0. He's shrunken up, like he retracted some of his pom poms and is purple. The tips that are out aren't pulsing. Should I move him to a medium flow area or give it another couple days? I'd hate to leave him in a spot he hates for too long, but on the other hand want to give him time to adjust. So far I haven't killed a coral ever, so I'll be pretty devastated if I can't make the one I've been wanting the longest live past a week. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi - can you post a picture? May give a better idea of the shape it's in. I would leave it be where it is for now and let it adjust. Place it on/near the rock so it can attach as it grows.

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, the lights aren't on right now so he's sleeping a bit more than yesterday. Just imagine like...4 pom poms out, the rest was shrunken in like this. He already came attached to the rock you see.

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh I'm so sorry to see your Xeina isn't doing well I am buying one tonight so I will watch this thread to see how it goes... maybe RogueAgent94 or ryanr will be able to help...

(love this new tagging system!)

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like it is getting used to the tank. Mine did that at first but has finally come around.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I would not. I left mine alone and avoided bothering it as much as possible. My first batch of Xenia did the same thing and I moved it a couple times but it died. So I tried the opposite thing and it seemed to work out pretty well.
Although I must warn you. Some people have trouble with xenia being a weed and growing out of control while others can't grow it at all! I'm right in the middle leaning more towards the "not being able to grow it" side. Mine grows very slowly and doesn't look nearly as good as it should. But it seems happy enough to pulse away . This is mine:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine grows like a weed!

I would let it settle - do you happen to know where it came from, what type of lighting etc? Sometimes corals moving from a very high light setup (e.g. Metal Halides) to LED can get confused as to what is night and day.

I'd leave it for a week or two, as long as the polyps are extending and the coral is feeding, then let it be. It will likely adjust in time. What are you feeding?

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
photo (1).JPG

So this is him now (the white bit), all nubbed up like never before. I moved him up higher in the tank with more light and more flow, we'll see if it helps but I'm not holding out much hope.

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right, and as stated previously, he was in a lower flow, lower light spot and turned into the last picture. Then I moved him to higher flow, higher light, but thanks.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry. I don't mean to seem unhelpful. I'm just not sure what you can do. A friend of mine puts his new corals which aren't doing well under a rock ledge where they are slightly slightly shaded and have very little flow. Most of his corals come back after that. I think the lack of light convinces the corals to open up and stretch out. I've never tried it though.

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RogueAgent94 said:
Sorry. I don't mean to seem unhelpful. I'm just not sure what you can do. A friend of mine puts his new corals which aren't doing well under a rock ledge where they are slightly slightly shaded and have very little flow. Most of his corals come back after that. I think the lack of light convinces the corals to open up and stretch out. I've never tried it though.
It's okay! I replied on my iPhone while having a conversation so my reply sounded snippy when I didn't mean for it to. Anyway, he's stayed in this nub state for a bit and hasn't shrunk any so I'll leave him be for about a week or so. If there is still no improvement then I'll try your idea. I have a perfect little spot. Thanks

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh it died. It just got smaller and smaller and then eventually was gone. I still have the rock in there but I doubt any bit of it made it. So now I have a small $10 rock. =(

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm VERY upset about it still. I have always wanted a pulsing Xenia so I'm sad I couldn't make it work. I don't think I could have done anything more for it. I know they're very fickle and hard to keep in some tanks and it was very tiny, so I'll just wait to try again. I have a 30 gallon that I moved to 4 days ago so hopefully when that settles itself, I can try another Xenia in a few months. We'll see. ~sigh~

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom