new puffers!

1. Dang Well Known Member Member

3 new puffers I got yesterday, I love them! I fed them blood worms today I love how they dart at it then slowly scope it out then bam! haha so fun to watch. I need more plants for the tank and they will be all set. First time I've had these. I think I got lucky and got 2 females and 1 male but I'm not positive, I don't see a black line on the belly but 2 of them are much rounder and hang together and the other is much slimmer and seems to be by itself.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404706831.661196.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404706847.264072.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404706922.711509.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404706938.138728.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Super jelly! Do they fight alot? Them and pond snails are best friends. But if you do start feeding life food make sure you breed your own snails. I personally like snails and want a puffer, but those puffers tend to kill everything else in the tank from what I have heard. Enjoy them!

3. Dang Well Known Member Member

only second day however I haven't seen them fight or go after each other at all. I have plants and driftwood so they should be able to claim space and behave. I had dozens of pond snails and most of them are gone already! I'm very happy with them so far Ill have to observe and read more about them to better my knowledge so I can take good care of them. I haven't been this pleased with an aquarium set up I think I'm set I just need to maintain and keep them healthy.
    I don't know anything about breeding snails but if I can do it in a small container of a sort I can try it. I can't have another tank but I could prob get away with a little container.

4. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Yes, you should be able to breed and raise snails in a container. Make sure they have food and do clean the container regularly. Maybe give them a plant or a few pieces of plant.

Congratulations on your new puffer friends!!! Definitely read read read. I hope the tank was already cycled because puffers are sensitive to changing water parameters and can be harmed by throwing them into an uncycled tank.

I do love my puffers, also. They are so cute and so full of personality!

5. Dang Well Known Member Member

I will research breeding snails.

yes it's definitely cycled I've read they are sensitive to high nitrates so I'll keep on water changes. it's only 3 of them in a 12 gallon shouldn't be that difficult.

6. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Im not 100% sure but they may become territorial when they are fully mature and need a bigger tank like some other fish (bettas for example)

And snail breeding is easy! Just put a plant into your tank from a snail infested one, Overfeed and then in a month youll have over 100 snails haha

7. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Love these little guys! Have one myself, wish I had a bigger tank so I could keep more together!!

8. Dang Well Known Member Member

I wonder if the fish store has pest snails they would give me or sell me to get started. The last plant I got from petco gave me a lot.

on the care sheet it says they tend to leave ottos alone, but on the Otto care sheet it says they need minimum 20 gallons. The fish store had them and they look over an inch already and very active.
    I didn't mind just having the puffers.

9. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do Otto's... I have them in my tank, and I woke up this morning to find one dead. Think spike the puffer bullied him to death. :(

10. Dang Well Known Member Member

I would even like Cory's on the bottom but there's not enough floor space for them. Shrimp would be perfect but not with puffers haha. oh well! I think their worth having, even tho it's almost them and nothing else.

11. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

You should really enjoy them. They are just too cute (to look at, but not if you're a snail ;))