new project

1. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

so ive decided to start on a new project. not really sure what it is yet but i had a inspiring dream last night. following the death of all but one of my newts... :( i have an empty 10 gallon the newt was moved to a smaller tank witch he seems happier with finding food more easy. now i must clean out the tank completely because as some of you might know newts have poison so i must clean well. now as for the project in my dream i see a beautiful planted tank :) as for fish i dont know. i was thinking maybe a pair of pea puffers? or another sorority tank? i think a pair of blue rams is a scretch? but no clue on that yet. maybe just leave it plants only? idk but now that ive got my banking issues semi resolved. (a daily spending limit and a fish budget) and my plants are selling pretty well now too. i suppose in 2-3 months i can actually get this done. im looking to go mostly walstead on this tank. so any comments suggestions of plant to fish ratio or experience is welcomed. also tell me what you think of nualgi products if you have heard of them or tried them? i may use them in this tank
    this is all i have so far after repeated cleanings
    photo (13).JPG

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

The goal of doing a walstad tank is to plant as much as you can, preferably fast growing plants and floating species. Without a large plant load, ammonia will be hard to control with the dirt releasing ammonia into the water. This allows fish to be added within the week of it being setup, without having to worry about cycling, since plants will keep the ammonia down.

Over time when the dirt becomes less effective, generally over a year, and with a tank looking more green than any other color, the plants will be looking towards fish for their nitrogen. Adding more fish later isn't a bad idea, you could always throw in a filter if you are having trouble keeping a good balance.

3. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ya im going to grow out a few plants alone first manually adding ammonia for now get some new species and wait a while before adding fish. i added some java and some of the new water sprite and rotala plantlings to the and with some aquatic plant dirt and regular soil.

4. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

hey do pea puffers only eat live food? i read it is hard to get them to even look at pellet food. what do i feed them pond snails and blood worms? do i need another type of snail?

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ok so ive planted a bit in there now looking for more plant species so pm me if you have a new one for me i have java moss subwasser tang water sprites and rotala in there now.
    photo 1 (19).JPG photo 2 (18).JPG photo 3 (10).JPG photo 4 (6).JPG

6. Anthony10 Member Member

Pond snails should work, there easy to get too! MTS snails might work to...

-Anthony

7. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

thanks so i just order 15 new plants for my tank and they come in tomarro or the day after. would it be better to go to the pet store and pick up snails before i get the fish or when i get the fish?

8. Anthony10 Member Member

I would allow the snails to breed for maybe a week or so before you get the puffer, you also might need a snail breeding tank too, unless of course you already have one!

Edit: If you can get a large amount of snails at the same time (20-40) you should be able to get the puffer at the same time

-Anthony

9. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i have a small pond snail tank with about 50 but they came from a outside pond. its about the 3rd generation of breeding them in tank would they be ok?

10. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

would you be able to have to dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon tank? i like them alot too but never had a gourami before

11. Anthony10 Member Member

Yes, those snails would be ok! You also might want to look up how often you should feed snails, if you haven't already! :) 1 Dwarf should be ok, but not with a puffer, even though pea puffers get 1" doesn't mean they won't terrorize anything with large fins!

-Anthony

12. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

oh i mean not with the puffers. im decideing which fish still although i like the puffers im a little afraid of feeding them live foods. so im thinking either 3-4 puffers or a soroity of bettas or 1-2 gouramis, or a pair of rams but idk yet

13. atc84 Well Known Member Member

yeah i have a dwarf gourami in my 10 gallon. Another thing to consider is that heavily planting tanks prevent ammonia spikes, so its possible to "overstock" by having fish that habitat different parts of the aquarium, such as cories.

14. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

A ten gallon tank is no good for a sorority - you'd want something larger. Honestly pea puffers are really cool and look great in a planted tank. I would make sure all the plants are in before adding them, though, and get plenty of snails. It's my understanding that the puffers can be trained onto frozen foods, as long as you feed them live foods from a pipette first, so they associate the pipette with food and will eat whatever comes out of it.

You can have a DG in the tank. You'd want that to be the only fish if you're going walstad method. I highly suggest reading up on Walstad aquariums before attempting one, though.

15. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i have a 5 betta soroity in a 10 gallon tank already they do well with each other but i believe puffers will be my fish for this tank cuz im in love with pea puffers in planted tanks

16. Anthony10 Member Member

Alright, did some more research and found out you shouldn't feed MTS snails to puffers, their shell it's to hard! Just thought you should know

-Anthony

17. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ok thanks

18. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ok so im getting 3 pea puffers for the tank stock list definantly is there any other fish that i could add 1 or 2 of for a bottom feeder? and on a side note would a pair of dario dario fit in a 10 gallon with a betta?

19. Anthony10 Member Member

I don't think you could really add anything in that tank size for a bottom feeder, and Dario Dario (Scarlet Gem Badis?) do better in species only tanks. Good luck with your puffers!! Keep me posted! :)

-Anthony

20. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ok thanks