New products for me

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

I picked up a cuttlebone as suggested. The package has a bird on it, does that i mean i must prepare it different? Ir can i not use it? Just rinse it off and out it in the filter? Next product, leaf zone. Worth it? I picked some up to help the plants. I ordered root tabs, seachem iron, seachem potassium, and matrix today as well to go with my flourish and excel.

2. ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

Not sure about the cuttlebone but leaf zone is ok. I used to use it until I discovered the Seachem fertilizers and I'm never turning back.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

All cuttlebone is marketed for birds, it's fine. :) I don't even rinse mine since it's absorbent, just break a chunk off and plop it in. It will float at first but eventually will sink. Or put it in your filter, either works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I threw the entire cuttlebone in my tank. Is that bad? How long does it take before it sink? Mine is still floating. Been in there for like 3 days.

5. Bijou88

It won't hurt anything to throw the whole thing in, I was just splitting it between tanks. It seems like my broken off pieces took around a week or two before they quit floating, but I wasn't really paying attention, lol.

To add, i leave my cuttlebone out in the open because my snails sometimes sit and munch on it.

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

I guess im confused. If they munch on it, then what good is it in my filter?

I use seachem ferts too. I just noticed that this one is mostly iron and potassium. So ill be using it till the rest of my seachem comes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  7. Bijou88

It slowly dissolves, releasing calcium in the water. It works fine either way, I've just noticed that my snails munch it too so I leave it out for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice