New Product Test

Sb092

I recently purchased Brightwell microbacter starter. It is supposed to be live bacteria to atart the nitrifying process. It was taking forever for my tank to cycle. I tested my water today. I did a water change and gravel clean on Thursday, June 17th. Today’s tests are off the charts! Ammonia is at 0, Nitrite is at 2.0 ppm, and nitrate is at 20 ppm. Previous tests showed my ammonia at .25-.50 and 0 on everything else.

EA725548-C9A0-4434-93EA-99F70B76B5D7.jpeg
I am going to put 2 ml of the microbacter and test everyday to see if it helps. Supposedly it can kick start the cycle in a week.

39751EA3-B65B-4427-A037-ED3022B10AFA.jpeg

MacZ

You have 20mg/l of Nitrates and 2.0mg/l of Nitrites, so your cycle is already running, though not yet stable (hence the nitrites.). The bottled bacteria won't do anything now anymore except maybe cause a bacteria bloom in the watercolumn.

Upvote 0

Sb092

I completed a water change today, June 21, and tested the parameters. I will test again in two days. I have not added anymore product since the first post. Today the readings are:
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.50
Nitrate: 5.0

1C7608AD-D04C-4DE8-9002-9E8FB46E5DD8.jpeg
I know that ammonia may be a bit high, but I think it is because I just did a water change and the api test cannot differentiate between ammonia and ammonium (which is nit harmful). The nitrates being a bit low may also be attributed to the water change, since that is how nitrate is removed from the tank.
I was also using another product from brightwell for my plants. It took me a few times to read and reread the instructions. It is a product that raises the nitrate in the water. I am wondering if this may have caused the readings in the last test.

image.jpg
It says each ml of floringro will increase the NO3 in 1 gallon by 6.9 ppm.

I guess the products from Brightwell do the job. My tank seems to have cycled after two doses….. or maybe the mixing of the two products helped it along. I’ll retest in two days without putting either product in and see what the numbers are.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

MacZ

but I think it is because I just did a water change and the api test cannot differentiate between ammonia and ammonium (which is nit harmful)

Correct, and also 0.25mg/l is neither high nor harmful. It's very much because of the waterchange.

I am wondering if this may have caused the readings in the last test.

You add a nitrate fertilizer, you get nitrate readings. Logical result.

The nitrates being a bit low may also be attributed to the water change, since that is how nitrate is removed from the tank.

Obviously...

I guess the products from Brightwell do the job. My tank seems to have cycled after two doses….. or maybe the mixing of the two products helped it along. I’ll retest in two days without putting either product in and see what the numbers are.

Honestly, the results are not saying anything. The fertilizer gave you a positive for nitrates and it is unclear whether the nitrates in your latest testing are from the cycle or the ferts. I would retest in a week without adding either. It is also unclear whether you have no more Nitrites because the cycle is running or because you didn't add further NH3/NH4.

Upvote 0

Sb092

Correct, and also 0.25mg/l is neither high nor harmful. It's very much because of the waterchange.

You add a nitrate fertilizer, you get nitrate readings. Logical result.

Obviously...

Honestly, the results are not saying anything. The fertilizer gave you a positive for nitrates and it is unclear whether the nitrates in your latest testing are from the cycle or the ferts. I would retest in a week without adding either. It is also unclear whether you have no more Nitrites because the cycle is running or because you didn't add further NH3/NH4.
I agree. Not going to add anything else and see. I was really wanting to test these products for when I finish setting up the 75 gallon. Still waiting on sand to come in for the big tank so I can set up the sand waterfall first before adding flourite and gravel.

Upvote 0

Sb092

Today is June 23 and I have not added any more product. I tested water today with the following results: ammonia 0, nitrite 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrate 10-20ppm.
image.jpg
I will test again in a couple of days. Water changes are usually done on Monday. I’ll test again after the water change.
Today is June 23 and I have not added any more product. I tested water today with the following results: ammonia 0, nitrite 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrate 10-20ppm.
image.jpg
I will test again in a couple of days. Water changes are usually done on Monday. I’ll test again after the water change.
I do realize nitrite is low in the test tube, I spilled it like 3 times and the third time I was like forget it, I’m not refilling again.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I do realize nitrite is low in the test tube, I spilled it like 3 times and the third time I was like forget it, I’m not refilling again.

Re-test. The result is compromised.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ir3land
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
  • Question
Replies
Views