New Pregnant Platy Won't Stop Thrashing.

Kjacqu21

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all. Yesterday I got a male and female platy for our 10 gallon tank. They were the only ones in cause we upgraded a few weeks ago to a 20 gallon, but I've been maintaining a cycle the best I could in this ten. Well upon closer inspection, the female is pregnant, she has a very light gravid spot just above her analfin. But she had nips I didn't see before. So I removed the male and was gonna let her calm down by herself, or in case the male was nipping her. But watching her whenever I walk up to the tank I can't express how just....violently she thrashed her body around through the gravel and stuff, so I'm convinced the only one hurting her this whole time was herself. I know if she stays in this state the fry could be born with there embryo sack and more than likely all perish from not developing rght. All the water conditions are safe, but I can not get her to stop thrashing when I come up. She may even do it alone but idk cause I'm not there. Any advice? I'm scared she's gonna kill if not her fry to be, herself I gave her as many hiding spots as I could to try to calm down but she stays under the filter towards the back and if anyone walks up bursts down into the gravel and thrashes around.
20180113_174541.jpg

As of this morning I cleaned the filter intake, but her top fin is pretty much shreads, and her tail fin isn't in great shape either and it's not fin rot because she had all of her fins beautifully yesterday morning in the store tank.
That's also why I can't get a clear picture at all. This picture was when the white male was still in with her. I can't get a clear one to save my life.

Carbeo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you just got her yesterday she might be just panicing when you come by. Try covering part of the tank and/or keeping the lights off.

OP
Kjacqu21

Kjacqu21

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Carbeo said:
If you just got her yesterday she might be just panicing when you come by. Try covering part of the tank and/or keeping the lights off.
Thanks! Almost instantly after I turned the light off and covered two sides of the tank that were letting In the most light she's laying at the bottom like she's taking a deep breath. She sees me and isn't thrashing. So maybe she was blinded by all the light sources hitting the tank

She still freaks out a little bit but I'm sure time will help. Not near as bad

N
madisons obbsession said:
No

OP
Kjacqu21

Kjacqu21

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe she's just a sskittish fish. I really hope she calms down. Living that scared is a miserable little life

Carbeo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should settle down more in the next few days. If it's having a hard time, just take off part of the paper cover each day.