New Pond!!

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi!!
I am setting up a new outdoor pond.. It is small... Only 300 gallons... Any way.. I have a bunch of plants to put in it, also a filter rated at 350gph, and a fountain with lights! I am really excited about it!! Now for the questions.. do I need some type of substrate? Also.. it is going to be right against the house.. should I still be worried about predators? We do live in a farm with woods,ect.. also.. what fish can I put in it?? I have four common.. or comet not sure which that I got at the fair that are the reason for this pond!! Is that pushing the stocking limit?? Thanks in advance for the help!!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi.

I have a similar type pond, although mine is closer to 350 gallons. You don't need a substrate. If you have potted plants and active fish, you will end up with some anyway, when they knock the planters around.

There is a rough rule of thumb that comets and commons need roughly 50 gallons of water each. They can grow to a foot or more under optimal conditions and are considered heavy waste producers, so you can see why the space is necessary.

With four commons you could add a shoal of rosy red minnows, for variety and diversity. They're good about eating insect larva, where the goldfish tend to nibble plants. Don't be surprised if you find your pond attracts frogs and toads. Mine was an active spawning area last year. You can also add some trapdoor snails to eat algae.

I was concerned about predation as well. Particularly raccoons . I sunk some PVC pipe pieces for the fish to hide in, along with some large bridge- type decor, but near as I can tell, while the fish do hang out in those spaces, they haven't needed to retreat from animals.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the information!! I am planning on potted plants as well, with no substrate! And that is a good idea about the racoons!! I will look into getting some minnows, but I might just keep my pond understocked... Easier to keep clean!!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your goldies will spswn in due course, anyway. Most of the fry will probably get eaten, but you will have to rehome some sooner or later.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your goldies will spswn in due course, anyway. Most of the fry will probably get eaten, but you will have to rehome some sooner or later.
Ok. Yea I figured that might happen!! Well I will have to see once!! Any one else feel free to chime in with potential problems or anything they see that won't work!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom