New Pond on impulse What do I do next

davis

photo.JPG
On impulse I had my landscaper put a small pond water feature in the back yard when adding the sprinkler system. Now I need some advice on how different a pond is from a tank. I have never been around a pond before my field drain prevented going very deep about 18 inches to about 10 inches. The pond is 40 inches wide and 15 feet long L shaped into the waterfall.
I assume goldfish will have to be brought inside for the winter? I still need to add some more rock and plants, but the excitement has started for a fun summer.

Shea Loner

Goldfish can survive the winter as long as the water doesn't freeze solid and they have an air hole. *shruggs* I don't know what your winters are like but I've been told if you want to overwinter them you should be at at least 3 feet deep.
Do you know how many gallons it is?

tropicalfishlover

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but I just wanted to say its beautiful.

davis

I think about 300 gal depth varies at both ends. It gets about 0 f sometimes normally in the teens just wish it had more depth for comfort level.

Shea Loner

You could have built up the sides more, sort of like a berm? That'd have given you some more depth.
But either way that is a gorgeous start to a pond. Some lillys and a good number of goldies and I see those chairs getting a lot of use.

equivalentbear

First of all this is beautiful !! Goldfish are very hardy fish and are considered "cold water" fish and as long as they can get air and it doesn't freeze solid they will survive. I use a trough heater for cow watering troughs in the deepest part of my pond. Hope this helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Celestialpearl
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
LHAquatics
Replies
Views
aoiumi
  • Question
  • EdmGuppyGal