New Pleco!

1. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

Okay, just today i was given a common pleco (i think) as a x-mas gift from my grandad. He/she is about 3 inches long and is currently sitting on top of the filter in the top right corner of the tank, this is where he has been since i got him 12 hours ago. I'm not sure if he's eating, but he is sucking onto the filter and the glass. He hasn't gone to the bottom and hasn't touched any algae disks.

How long should it take before he settles in and starts eating? I'm being extra cautious because he cost my grandad $48 and i don't want him dying anytime soon. I know they are very hardy, but I need some tips/

and don't say "he's gonna be too big" or "your tanks over stocked" or "they create so much waste" cause i know that. i'm going to have to re stock and do regular water changes.

also, like i said it's been sitting in the same spot for ages. i'm scared he's not eating. should i move him so he can find the wood and algae pellets? (they are on the other side of the tank).

Best foods?

any other tips?

thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

"and don't say "he's gonna be too big" or "your tanks over stocked" or "they create so much waste" cause i know that. i'm going to have to re stock and do regular water changes." <----a bit harsh :)

BadWolf what a nice gift you've gotten from your Grandad. I'm sure you'll do what is necessary to make sure he's happy and healthy.

I suggest leaving him alone for a while and let him acclimate to his new environment. It may take several days. When I added mine I didn't even see them for 6 weeks. (and that was in my 155g) There is no need to be moving him around forcefully. He'll move when he's ready.
    Feed him some slices of zucchini. He'll love it. Mine comes to the front of the tank every morning now expecting his little round slice. I suggest removing whatever hasn't been eaten after 12 hours. Mine also likes algae waffers and he'll even nibble on some romaine lettuce on occasion. It might take him a time or two to realize what you've given him is food so don't give up after the first try. I use plant weights on the zucchini and romaine lettuce so that it sinks to the bottom.

I'm sure you'll get some more responses.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

When I got my bn, it took them a week to come out and it took them another week to realize the zuchini was food, I think just give him time

4. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

when i tried feeding him the wafers, the 3 bns were eating, and then the clown loach scared them off, and then the goldfish scared the clown off and then the tandanus scared him off. is there a way i can make sure just the plecos eat?

(i meant no offense with that sentence i said previously)

he is now on the other side of the tank, where he has been sinse yesterday, hasn't moved an inch. i still haven't seen him eating, what do i do? i even put a cucumber slice next to him, about an inch away, still no eating. i don't want him to starve to death, what do i do?

:animal0068:Merged posts.
    Ken

5. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Plecos are catfish - making them nocturnal. He may be eating when the lights are out.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you could try waiting until it is dark and then putting the food right next to him...

7. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

You could put in a temporary tank divider, chase the plecos on one side and the other fish on the other then drop in the food for the pleco

8. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

this has happened to me before with my black ghost knife and 2 angelfish i had once. they weren't eating in the main tank, but when i put them in the other tank (7 gallon spare tank) they started eating. i then put them back in the main tank after a week. should i try this with my pleco?

9. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Do they still look plump? or do their bellies look like they are starting to cave in a bit? If they still look plump, then they must be eating something. I would put their food in right by them in the evening. The other fish may be "sleeping" at night, but the plecos will come out to eat/scavenge at night. I don't see my plecos eating, but I know they are. They are inside for the winter, and the only fish in the tank are the two plecos, 3 cories, and 1 chinese algae eater. The cories ignore the moss on the rocks, the cae will eat some of the moss but does not scrape it off completely. I will put in a flat rock roughly 12 inches by 8-9 inches by about 3-4 inches thick that is covered in moss. The rock will sit there all day with not a bite out of it, but once it gets dark, it takes the two plecos less than an hour to have the rock completely scraped clean. If you want to try moss, see if you can get some moss/algae to grow on a flat rock or thin brick or something. Let the moss/algae get about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick then rinse it off good and put it in the tank for the plecos. If the moss disappears, you know they are eating.

10. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

his belly is a bit curved in, i'm worried now. if he dies, tat $50 gone...... i put a fresh cucumber slice right next him and it hasn't been touched. Even last night the other piece didn't look touched either. I tried algae wafers, but he's been staying on the wall, so he hasn't eating it. also, the other fish, including the crayfish, eat the algae wafer before any of the plecos get it.

where do i get moss?

thnx

11. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I just grow it in my pond. Put a couple of rocks in some water and put them in a sunny spot. It may take a while, but if it works to get him to eat, it's worth it. In the mean time, if you have a tank that he can be in by himself, you may want to consider moving him. That way he can have a chance to eat without someone else eating all his food. At least until you are sure he is eating. You can try a variety of stuff too. Besides cucumbers, try zucchini (also called italian squash - it is long and a mid to dark green skinned squash) or romaine lettuce. I've also seen sheets of dried algae from Dr's Foster & Smith, although I have not tried them. If he is still small, the algae wafers may be a bit too hard for him. Try soaking them for a bit first so they soften up.

any pics of him yet?

12. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

No pics yet, I will get some soon, he's beautiful, he actually might be a leopard pleco. I moved into my 7 gallon tank for now, and he loves it already. He has snacked on the algae, wood and the cucumber. There is only 2 guppies plus him in there. I might leave him in there for a fortnight.

I will get some pics ASAP.

thnx

13. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Glad to know he is actually eating now. Maybe he was just a bit overwhelmed by the larger tank.