New Pleco Questions Help

1. Prism Well Known Member Member

Ok, just yesterday I got a little 2" pleco, hes a small little cute guy.
    My concern, that hes not dark black, hes like a tanish color.

Its like he is albino?
    Is he, or is it his mood color changing.

And, I've been watching, and heard that little baby plecos don't find their food that well.
    He usually hangs out in what spot of the tank, the back left, he moves, and spends most of his time on the wall.

I put a small blanched zucchini in there, but he hasn't touched it.
    He has swam by it, and hanged out by it but I see no signs of him touching it, no eat marks ect.

I found him today after turning on the moon light under the zucchini, and a kuhli loach on top of it.
    He was swimming, and also hanging out by the zucchini.

Will he soon eat?
    I don't want him to die.

2. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

If you could provide a picture of him and your current water parameters it will help us see if he is stressed or something else is going on.
    He may not be used to fresh veggies, I would try something meatier to catch his attention, shrimp pellets work for me, green beans, squash, and even cantaloupe (little messy the last one) are good choices to tempt him to eat. He is likely a common plecos and will get huge but also will stop eating as much algae as it isn't enough to support them. If you want just an algae eater get a nerite snail or two.
    If he is a common, he won't stay small that long and then you'll have a hefty tank in your tank that will rearrange it as he likes.

3. Prism Well Known Member Member

No, no, hes a small clown pleco.
    Sorry for not listing that.

He was this color at the fishstore too.
    I'll test my water after school.

I feed my kuhli loach shrimp pellets, so he gets some of those.
    I'll take a picture of him soon.

edit: Hes in a 20g long.
    Stocking -

x1 Male Betta (not aggressive, never cares about bottom dwellers)
    x8 Kuhli Loach
    x1 Clown Pleco

4. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

Do you have wood in there for him to eat? They are wood eaters but the two i had would chow down on the shrimp pellets i put in with them. Mine were dark as long as they weren't stressed though one got stressed out more often than the other when moved around. They were a brown with thin orange stripes but went pale tan with bleh orange stripes when stressed, the easily stressed one did go paler than the other though.

5. Prism Well Known Member Member

Hes been this way all night.
    He started turning when he got caught by the fishstore employee.

All though he was a light grey in the fishstore.
    Yes, I have 3 pieces of driftwood.

But its not their not on the side where he hangs out.
    But yes, there is 3.

6. Prism Well Known Member Member

I had some pictures from last night, and today.
    Here are some of them.

Attached Files:

7. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I would give him time to adjust to his new home.
    Honestly when I first got my little bristlenose 9 times out of 10 I didn't see him for probably the first 2 or 3 weeks the only time I did see him was when I was fishing him out of my filter.

It also took that long for me to see him eat anything as well. Then one morning there he was hanging out in the zucchini. Now he'll try any veggie I put in the tank.

Just keep offering veggies he'll figure out that it's food soon enough. He definitely won't starve himself :)

Some of my little ones favourites are zucchini brussel sprouts and sweet bell peppers.

8. Prism Well Known Member Member

Ok, I'll keep on being patient.
    I just do not want him to die, hes so cute!!

Name ideas?

9. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Hidey for a name :)
    ...I think I heard that the clowns are the shyest of the three small plecos..the BN the rubberlip n clown...I have the first two and neither are very shy could just b a waiting game so he can adjust...good luck

10. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I like the name Hidey especially if it's a girl! I've started calling mine Phil cause he was always getting into the filter. I keep calling mine he but he's still to little to sex ;)

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member