New Pleco owner, worried he’s not gonna make it.

Spin1983

I just got my girlfriend this Pleco so she could have something in my planted tank. He’s a Colombian zebra and he’s not doing well already. I’ve had him less than a week and can’t figure out how to help him. He’s not eating and color is fading in and out and some white spots come and go. Tank mates: a white betta, 4 albino Danios, 3 shrimp, 4 snails. Plants: dwarf hairgrass, Madagascar lace, tiger lotus, lucky bamboo, alt. Renikii bonsai tree. Co2 injection, Fluval 307 canister filter on a 55gal tank. Just did a water change when I got him. Dosing water with Iron daily and flourish 3times a week. Help please, don’t want him to die already.

Attachments

• D6C99866-CEEB-412E-AAFF-923A2489A30A.jpeg
    D6C99866-CEEB-412E-AAFF-923A2489A30A.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 588291E6-6722-4CBB-AEE2-EC90BD567334.jpeg
    588291E6-6722-4CBB-AEE2-EC90BD567334.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 23

Aaronious

I have had a couple plecos not make it though they were pretty small. This one looks large enough it should be okay.... can you check on your water parameters for us? This will help to rule things out. Sometimes fish just don't make it as well, though seems odd for this size of pleco. What kind of hiding places are there? just this drift wood it's currently on?

Spin1983

So crazy, this morning he looks better, like 100%. giant white spot on the middle of his head last night. I Purchased him a hide yesterday thinking he was just stressed. Water parameters are good as far as I can tell. Temp between 77-79f depending on house temp/ac. Nitrates and Nitrite safe, GH 75, ph 6.8, kh around 30-40.
Photos show the whole tree, a spot he likes to hide in daytime under the tree and moss (where the shrimp is) and the ugly new hide I purchased from petco yesterday, behind the tree. He hasn’t discovered the petco hide yet.

Attachments

• 4F60ACE9-E0ED-44DC-8981-E51BEA611745.jpeg
    4F60ACE9-E0ED-44DC-8981-E51BEA611745.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ECE8FA73-8931-42B5-A6F5-46B8ED2EC5F0.jpeg
    ECE8FA73-8931-42B5-A6F5-46B8ED2EC5F0.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 4ECBD2CE-B4E6-4953-980A-BF84DDE40811.jpeg
    4ECBD2CE-B4E6-4953-980A-BF84DDE40811.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 20

CHJ

When buying plecos always ask the LFS if they are eating.
Some wild caughts never eat and then die.

Spin1983

Will do. Think he may be getting better. Treated for ich anyway with ich-x. We’ll see.

Noroomforshoe

Welcome to fishlore!
A white spot? like the size of a grain of salt? Or a white blotch that comes and goes?
Pleco have sections of their head and body that change tones with their moods. I use to think my buddy was sick, but I finally noticed the recurring color/tone change when he would get some food he liked.

You may not always see a pleco eat, it's stressful, I know! I had a clown pleco for 11 years and I never saw him eat. Also, do you have real driftwood for him? he needs some real driftwood to graze on. Try leaving sinking omnivore wafers in the tank overnight.

Good luck with that awesome-looking fish!

Spin1983

Welcome to fishlore!
A white spot? like the size of a grain of salt? Or a white blotch that comes and goes?
Pleco have sections of their head and body that change tones with their moods. I use to think my buddy was sick, but I finally noticed the recurring color/tone change when he would get some food he liked.

You may not always see a pleco eat, it's stressful, I know! I had a clown pleco for 11 years and I never saw him eat. Also, do you have real driftwood for him? he needs some real driftwood to graze on. Try leaving sinking omnivore wafers in the tank overnight.

Good luck with that awesome-looking fish!
yes, the tree is real driftwood and I have a couple other real driftwood pieces in there too. He totally lost his color and turned white the day after we brought him home, scared the heck out of my girlfriend. I said the same thing, give him a day or two and see if he’s just freaking out in a new home.
Then his color came back on day 3. That night I saw the white spots, some big some small and a large one the size of a skittle on top of his head, dead center.
I’ve been dropping the herbivore wafers in at night but my shrimp steal them; so last night I dropped in a cube of bloodworms at midnight. I assume he ate because his color is back to normal this morning and he’s been seemingly in a better mood. He even found his new hide and has been hanging out there all day, but looking good.

Noroomforshoe

You can try a slower to dissolve wafer like cobalt algae grazer, you can try raw, steamed, canned or blanched veggies speared on a spoon if they dont sink.
Zuchini, cucumber, okra, yam, kale, nori... the possibililies are endless, but for the messier things, "canned carrot, canned yam, banana... I suggest feeding the day before a water change.

Wild caught fish like this are going to take longer to settle, and longer to eat, Good luck!

CHJ

Another thing to know is some plecos are picky eaters.
My phantoms and nuggets rejected everything people recommended. They showed ~0 growth their first year. Then I saw the plecos at the LFS chowing down on raw zuchs.
So instead of blanching which I was told was best I tried raw. Those plecos have been chowing down ever since.
My L134s didn't like eating anything. The ate enough to stay alive but didn't chow down. When the shrimp pellets ran out one day I tried my cheap Omega Color flake as there was nothing else to fed them. They love it.
My cactus were slow growing and not eating much no matter what I tried. I finally bit the bullet and bought Massivore. They liked that. I then tried the sinking cichlid food that is half the price wondering if it was the same stuff in a different shape. They eat that all up too. They also at some point finally decided they like eating the snails in the tank.
The Eaters (they were sold as albino gibbiceps but I think they are commons as their 'sail fin" is much shorter than an Rhino's and not very sail at all), well they eat everything.
The Adonis refuses proteins but eats zuchs. I suspect this will change after a few years when it puts on a little size.
The BN, Starlights, and chubby refuse veggie rounds so it is zuchs and spinach for them, they will also eat pumpkins (Jack-o'-lantern not pie).
Lots of the plecos have changed their mind about my home made agar agar food so they now love it.

Spin1983

You can try a slower to dissolve wafer like cobalt algae grazer, you can try raw, steamed, canned or blanched veggies speared on a spoon if they dont sink.
Zuchini, cucumber, okra, yam, kale, nori... the possibililies are endless, but for the messier things, "canned carrot, canned yam, banana... I suggest feeding the day before a water change.

Wild caught fish like this are going to take longer to settle, and longer to eat, Good luck!
Great info, didn’t know they could eat all that. Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FreshAtFreshwater
Replies
Views
Rubylovesbettas
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies