New Platys! And a couple questions about them (Genders?)

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got in some pretty new blue mickey mouse platys! They're gorgeous (I think).
82388692_761480554337622_8991287547665580032_n.jpg

Unfortunately my quarantine tank doesn't have any lighting, and they're a similar color to the wall behind it so it's hard to get a good pic, but somehow I managed to get a good pic of the color on this one as he zoomed by.

I'm not super experienced with livebearers, but to my knowledge, it's best to have 2-3 females to 1 male (Is this correct?). So when I ordered, I added a note asking for 2 males and 4 females (I wanted 6). Now that they arrived, I think they sent 4 male and 2 females. This makes me question if I'm sexing them correctly - females have the wider analfin, and the males' is pointier, right? (To put it basically) That'd make the right three in the above pic male, and the left one female, right? So did they disregard my request, or did whoever scooped them out not know how to tell gender, or do I not know how to sex them?

What gender is this one? I was leaning towards male cause of the thicker white part, but it's not as pointy as the others'
83404590_619884688828807_6714978949782306816_n (1).jpg

If it's female then there are 3 female and 3 males, this means I should probably go pick up 3 more females from my LFS right? (Or if it's 2 females and 4 males, I'd have to pick up 4 more females ;-; ) Or do you guys think they'll be okay as is?

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are you able to get better pictures? It’s a bit hard to see their fins in these pictures. But yes males have the pointier analfin and females are more rounded. Also with livebearers it is good to have at least 2 females to one male but better to have 3 females to one male. And they will breed

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ssnaaiil said:
Are you able to get better pictures? It’s a bit hard to see their fins in these pictures. But yes males have the pointier analfin and females are more rounded
I can go try! My phone's not the best, lighting is bad, they blend in, and they zoom around being too busy for pictures lol :wacky: I might put some black paper behind it, that might help

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
I can go try! My phone's not the best, lighting is bad, they blend in, and they zoom around being too busy for pictures lol :wacky: I might put some black paper behind it, that might help
For sexing them you could also sit and watch them for a bit and the males will probably end up chasing the females, and look at the fish that are doing the chasing and see if their analfin is pointed and if the one being chased has a rounder fin. That’s how I realized what sex mine were. I got lucky and ended up with 1 male and 2 females.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
People say that the females have round analfins, but I've also heard them described as fan-shaped. That seems more accurate to me, and may help.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ssnaaiil said:
For sexing them you could also sit and watch them for a bit and the males will probably end up chasing the females, and look at the fish that are doing the chasing and see if their analfin is pointed and if the one being chased has a rounder fin. That’s how I realized what sex mine were. I got lucky and ended up with 1 male and 2 females.
JettsPapa said:
People say that the females have round analfins, but I've also heard them described as fan-shaped. That seems more accurate to me, and may help.
Yes, I do know the different shapes. I was just worried that I'd gotten them switched around because they sent me the exact opposite of what I asked for. And the one I asked about specifically because it seemed to be right in the middle of the two has since started carrying it like to other males. This means I have four males, so I'll reiterate: Will they be fine or should I go try to buy more females (Which would be a different color as my LFS does not carry these)?

Also here are some slightly better pictures:
83021780_1039544319728474_6520655117274841088_n.jpg

82996657_603817830446407_5786955556430282752_n.jpg

82032976_481583552773530_520352012513050624_n.jpg

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Yes, I do know the different shapes. I was just worried that I'd gotten them switched around because they sent me the exact opposite of what I asked for. And the one I asked about specifically because it seemed to be right in the middle of the two has since started carrying it like to other males. This means I have four males, so I'll reiterate: Will they be fine or should I go try to buy more females (Which would be a different color as my LFS does not carry these)?

Also here are some slightly better pictures:
83021780_1039544319728474_6520655117274841088_n.jpg

82996657_603817830446407_5786955556430282752_n.jpg

82032976_481583552773530_520352012513050624_n.jpg

First picture the two in the middle look like female. 2nd picture 2 on left look like male. 3rd picture bottom left looks like female and other 3 look like males.

I would make sure you have at least 2 females for each male in the tank

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have at least 3 males and 2 females, I can't tell which fish are the same from the second photo and first.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
e_watson09 said:
You have at least 3 males and 2 females, I can't tell which fish are the same from the second photo and first.
Yes, 4 are male, 2 female, as I said

Ssnaaiil said:
First picture the two in the middle look like female. 2nd picture 2 on left look like male. 3rd picture bottom left looks like female and other 3 look like males.

I would make sure you have at least 2 females for each male in the tank
Exactly what I thought. So you're saying I should go buy more females then? And the difference in colors won't affect their behaviors at all?

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Yes, 4 are male, 2 female, as I said

Exactly what I thought. So you're saying I should go buy more females then? And the difference in colors won't affect their behaviors at all?
I’m not too experienced with platies or livebeares but I have 3 mollies (2 females,1 male) and my one male(white with black spots) for the most part only likes chasing/mating with my white female. My other female is mostly yellow with a little white and black spots. I’m not too sure about platies. But I would suggest getting more females otherwise with 4 males and only 2 females your males will likely stress your females to death(literally)

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
e_watson09 said:
What size is the tank they're going into?
10 Gallons, which some sources say is fine, but if they prove to be too active for that tank I have a 29 that's cycling they can go in later

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
10 Gallons, which some sources say is fine, but if they prove to be too active for that tank I have a 29 that's cycling they can go in later
Ah yeah that many in a 10 gallon is way too many, usually its questionable to have platy in a 10 gallon at all. If people do it they usually only do 1-2. I would try to exchange some of the males for females rather than purchasing more females and adding to the numbers. I would start planning ahead now to move them to the 29 gallon with how many you have.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
e_watson09 said:
Ah yeah that many in a 10 gallon is way too many, usually its questionable to have platy in a 10 gallon at all. If people do it they usually only do 1-2. I would try to exchange some of the males for females rather than purchasing more females and adding to the numbers. I would start planning ahead now to move them to the 29 gallon with how many you have.
I know. Hence why I was going to try it with six. It was going to be something of an experiment, especially since it was just in the mean time.

And you people tear others apart for doing fish-in cycles so excuse me for not doing so. And I would prefer to keep them in the cycled quarantine tank for the allotted amount of time rather than risk contaminating a brand new tank with something and potentially losing fish to the cycle.

And I cannot exchange them. Hence why I originally asked for the ones I did. I do not want to buy more but in order to get the numbers right it will seem I will need to. I am not happy about this situation. I am trying to make it work. I’m sorry I didn’t draft up all my ideas and send them to you for approval

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Personally, I would wait and hold onto what you have and see if you end up having issues before you buy more fish to solve a problem that may not be there. I have 4 guppies, 2 male and 2 female, which I know everyone would go after me and say that I need at least 2/3 females per male. But I haven't had any issues, everyone's happy and babies are on their way to soon throw the gender ratio out of proportion

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hmm.. for sure 1 girl in the mix. 3 boys for sure.

The questionable one looks a bit like a 6 month old still getting his boy parts tbh.

10g is iffy for platies, mostly due to their high bioload (they are poop machines) and the amount of babies they have every month. If you go through with it, I would add a lot more filtration. Maybe keep the boys in the 10 gallon as a species only fraternity and heavily plant the heck out of it :D move the solo girl to another tank and pick her up one other female companion.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
I know. Hence why I was going to try it with six. It was going to be something of an experiment, especially since it was just in the mean time.

And you people tear others apart for doing fish-in cycles so excuse me for not doing so. And I would prefer to keep them in the cycled quarantine tank for the allotted amount of time rather than risk contaminating a brand new tank with something and potentially losing fish to the cycle.

And I cannot exchange them. Hence why I originally asked for the ones I did. I do not want to buy more but in order to get the numbers right it will seem I will need to. I am not happy about this situation. I am trying to make it work. I’m sorry I didn’t draft up all my ideas and send them to you for approval
Woah, I'm sorry I offended you. You were asking for opinions so I gave them. I never said anything was wrong about your QT. I was more so thinking if the tank was big enough to add more females to resolve the male to female ratio.

Once I got enough information to know that isn't an option I tried to help come up with additional creative options.

Again, I never meant to offend you in any way shape or form. I think its awesome you have a QT! I was just asking questions to help get enough information to give you some options that I could come up with :)

New Threads