New Platy Prego Or Sick?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ethan grassetti, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Ethan grassetti

Ethan grassetti New Member Member

I just got 3 sunset plattys from the store a week ago 2 male 1 female. The female has been just staying in one place at the too of the tank. She looks fine otherwise. The next day she swam around a little. She keeps doing it. Today she was just laying in a little rock. Like she was right side up not on her side. Is she pregnant. I don't know water info but I completely changed it right before I added them and i put 1 tsp of stress reducer. It's a 20 gal tank. Please help thanks.!

3 new plattys. 1 female is staying either at the top in the corner or In a rock just sitting there for hours everything else seems fine. Is she prego or sick?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you provide more information? What size tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters? What's going on with you platys?

3. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Picture of your fish will help us determine what the issue could be. Also is this tank fully cycled? Parameters please if you could?

4. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post a picture? Is it just her and 2 males?

5. OP
    OP
    Ethan grassetti

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  6. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

Send pictures of them both.

7. OP
    OP
    Ethan grassetti

I took a picture of the rock it was in

Here's the rock it was in

Attached Files:

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic.

If your pics are too big you can resize them free here  

9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

No, I do not think she is pregnant; and she looks quite thin on top of that. What are your water parameters? I think it may be a water quality issue or she could be ill, possibly with an internal parasite.

Is she gasping at the surface as well?

10. OP
    OP
    Ethan grassetti

I don't have the peremateres but I just fully cycled it before I got them. I can't tell but she has been hiding in a rock now. She's been doing this for 4, 5 days

I don't know the parameters but I just cycled it before I got them she has new hiding in a rock today and yesterday

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  11. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Normally I would say it all because she is new, but she is much too skinny without thinking it's not anything else. Have you seen her poop lately? As a safeguard, I would treat for an internal parasite. Praziquantel or prazipro is a good one (make up a small dose mixture and soak some flakes or fish food in them so the medication goes inside).
    Are there any other fish in the tank? (If so, you probably want to treat the entire tank, especially the new fish)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice