New Plants?

1. Mathew

Mathew New Member Member

Was wondering if anyone knew how long plants take to settle in to a new tank? I just got given some and i have no idea about aquarium plants. I just put them in with my fish, i only have a gravel substrate and i dont want them to die and cause more of an ammonia problem then i already have.

2. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

Do you know what you have? If not, can you post pics? For a lot of common aquarium plants just planting them and waiting is enough to see growth. Sometimes leaves will fall at first so new ones can replace them, this is normal. If you see anything turning brown you can trim it to prevent decaying plant matter causing ammonia

3. OP
    OP
    Mathew

Mathew New Member Member

Thers pics of the plants. They all look ok at the moment but they only been in there over night. Iv got my ammonia down to 1ppm still high i kno but better then it was. All my fish seem happy enough. 20170806_084721.jpg 20170806_084714.jpg

4. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

On the left in the first pic looks like cabomba, the second pic I think water sprite? Not sure what the leafy ones in the middle are.

Cabomba is very easy to grow, and won't need much attention. I have Sprite both floating and planted, the floating grows much faster but it does well both ways with little work. They both appreciate med-high light, and you won't need root tabs for either. Remove any brown areas and vacuum dropped leaves promptly and they won't cause ammonia.

They all look really good atm though :)

5. OP
    OP
    Mathew

Mathew New Member Member

Alight cool thanks for that. Yeah i done a 50% water change this morning will probably have to do another one later today and ill vacume up leave then. Hopfully the plants last iv got a 40 watt aquaone sunlight globe and a tropical globe will they be ok for the plants