New plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MatthewM, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

Got my plants today, got them planted. Need to do some rearranging but I'm happy. Does anyone have suggestions on do's and donts? How to be successful? I use my finnex planted plus 24/7. Seachem liquid ferts, getting root tabs. The fish like it. Ill attach a full plant list, its the 55 option. But in my 75. Some plants came potted, am i supposed to remove te pulp like stuff in the pot too? Or just the pot. It said just the pot and the block was so engulfed in roots on most i just kept it on. Is it bad? Also, i attached what i did with one, laying it in a crack on the driftwood in its block, is it alright free floating like that? Or must it be in my substrate. A little displeased that live aquaria sent me some pond snails as well :/ forgot to turn off my heater while planting and blew that out. Just need shrimp and a new hearer and my tank should be complete. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324418.150679.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324504.550788.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324564.127973.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324647.133031.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324693.678603.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324727.426525.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324756.150057.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436324796.286862.jpg

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure with the bulb plants. Your fert selection looks good. One thing I'd add, is dosing flourish excel daily or every other day as your carbon source. Your lighting will put you between the high end of low, and the low end of medium, and you may see some algae without some kind of carbon source. With having crypts and Vals, start at 1/4 dose for a week, then 1/2 dose for a week, then 3/4 for a week and then normal dosing. Vals and crypts require being acclimated to excel but can do fine with it once it's gradually introduced.

Regarding the rock wool from the potted plants, you want to remove it. It will eventually suffocate the roots and cause root crowding and root rot. It can be a pain to get off, but I highly recommend it. Also, don't worry if a few of the roots get damaged, it's actually recommended with new plants especially when they come in rock wool, to cut 1/4 to 1/3 of the roots off the bottom of the root ball to encourage new root growth so they'll take better to the substrate and you won't have to deal with them trying to float back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

4. Bluestreakfl

Well if you've already been full dosing Excel (not sure for how long?) maybe start at 1/2 instead of 1/4 and see how they do for a week or two. If they look alright, then maybe go up to full dose. And yeah the rock wool is a pain but your plants will thank you. If you have a pair of really long tweezers and a long skewer or similar, you can plant with the tweezers, and then use the skewer or similar to gently cover the base with more substrate with your spare hand, that way it doesn't try to float away. My problem with using just the tweezers was that when I pulled them away they pulled the plant with them. With the skewer, you can scoop more substrate over the roots, then pin the plant still while you pull away the tweezers.

5. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Only twice so far. Ill go down to be safe. That sounds like quite the pain haha.

What would you recommend for my filters? Or what would you personally do? Now its just bio stars, foam blocks, and denitrate. I removed all carbon this morning and im recharging my purigen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Bluestreakfl

I'm not sure how purigen interacts with ferts and such. Regarding the filter setup, my canister from bottom to top is tray 1 coarse sponge, tray 2 fine floss, tray 3 Fluval biomax ceramic rings, and tray 4 Seachem matrix biomedia capped with one fine pad at the end. Ideally you want to have your biomedia last so it doesn't get gunked up, but rather the sponge and floss catches debris first. Also having the biomedia last can often help develop a bacteria that will actually consume nitrates.

7. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Im planning on getting some matrix. So it'll be bottom to top, foam blocks, bio stars and ceramic rings together, de nitrate, which i may get rid of after matrix, and then matrix. But when i get mateix the too two will be matrix and probably another sponge.

8. Bluestreakfl

I noticed once I added matrix to my canister (mid cycle) it rapidly sped the process up. I feel like I can honestly say it's the best biological media out there. It also is supposed to be good for developing the bacteria that consumes nitrate which I think is why they claim it helps reduce nitrate. I'm guessing from your use of denitrate that you have nitrates from the tap?

9. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Yeah, tap water is usually 40ppm or higher. So by the time i do a water change its catastrophic. The denitrate kept it tolerable. I side ordered some hornwort as well.

10. Bluestreakfl

Have you tried Pothos growing with just the roots submerged? Any land plant that will grow with submerged roots will eat nitrate like a buffet. You could also get a holding container with some floating plants and an airstone and use that water so the floaters can absorb the nitrates ahead of time.

11. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

What is a pothos?

12. Bluestreakfl

A climbing type fine that can grow with its roots fully submerged. Look for the thread called "Nitrate Loving Land Plants" in the plants subforum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice