New Plants!

1. stashattack Member Member

So I finally cracked and bought a t5HO light and some plants to go along with it and took out the plastic ones.

I unintentionally freaked my babies out while rearranging the tank. But now I think they like the tank even more. Much more natural and more hiding spots.

I'm very happy with it :D

Attached Files:

2. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

cool plants!!! Thats a lot of light for a 10g you should get some good growth with some ferts and co2

3. stashattack Member Member

Thanks for the advice! :)

4. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

WHat light fixture is that? Could you give me the link? Is it a nova extreme?

5. stashattack Member Member

It's by a company called Deep Blue. It got it for $68 and it has two bulbs. I only have one in because the LFS that I got it from only had blue lights for coral that fit this light fixture. But they placed an order for me and I can pick up the second white light on Tuesday.

6. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

you're going green!
    WTG!
    Really enjoy the pictures.
    Thanks for sharing

Boy! Would plecos love your tank =)

7. stashattack Member Member

Haha, I know right? I have more algea then I know what to do with. If only it wasn't a 10g or I would get one. :p

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually in a 10g, Nerite snails will be your friend. Drop 1 or 2 in and give them a week, you will be SHOCKED at what them little buggers can do for ya.

9. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

+1 pirahnah

They will do work son!!

And after you find a balance in your tank you won't have much algae

10. uphill4me Member Member

Like it! And fully encourage snails and fertilizers, especially chelated iron (requires iron test kit).
    Personally, I wouldn't suggest Carbon Dioxide in a 10 gallon. Maybe increased aeration would be more appropriate? Tea Tree Oil (Melafix) makes the bubbles smaller for increased surface area.

LOL! I gave away some larger Roman Structures like yours last week. I kept doing themes in newer tanks then returning to natural looking aquascapes after the plants filled out.
    I think can steal enough plants from other tanks without noticing that I didn't need them anymore. Still makes me smile though.

11. stashattack Member Member

Thanks pirahanah, I will keep that in mind after I rehome my botia, since those sails will be a tasty treat for him.

Thanks, uphill4me. I was thinking about getting Flourish for the plants, and I use melafix with every water change along with pimafix just as preventive measures. I really like the way the structure looks with the plants so I think it's going to stay, lol.

As small update, I've rearranged things so that they get more light, and all but one of the pants have taken in deepish roots into the substrate, so yay! the algae bloomed after I left the lights on for 3 days when I went of vacation, so I have to rub all of that off of the plants and tank -_-

12. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You need to get a timer and set it for a 8 hour photo period. That is a lot of light.

What type of algae?

13. stashattack Member Member

It's really dark green algae on the plants and rock.

I totally didn't think about a timer when I left. I'll dig around the house for one for the next time I travel... Which shouldn't be until the summer.

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The simple light timers work wonders I pick mine up at one of the home improvement stores for $5 or less regularly.

When going on vacation and you dont have a timer or someone to visit the tanks a couple times a day its best to leave the lights off for the duration.

15. stashattack Member Member

I just didn't want the plants to die in that time.

I live at home with my parents (poor college student) but since it's my tank, they don't touch it.

I know there is a timer somewhere around this house that is free, if not i'll go to home depot or a best buy to find one and pick one up.

16. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

How long do you leave the lights on?

17. stashattack Member Member

A posted before, 3 days. I was away and my parents don't touch the tank.

18. tpasser2 Member Member

I agree that the timers work really well for hood lights. I use it daily now even when I'm around and it is better for your fish too because they will get on a more natural cycle if the time is consistent.

19. stashattack Member Member

Yes, I like the sound of that. I just need to find one. THe only problem is that if I do only have the lights on for 8 hours, is that I probably wouldn't be home when the lights go off for a second feeding. Would the fish be up for eating if the lights are off.

I have a fairly active social life, which doesn't get me home until around 8 each night. My practice and school schedule is kind of crazy.

20. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I meant how many hours a day do you leave the lights on when you are home?

Never mind you answered. Lol