New Plants In 5 Gallon

Stevo803

I added several plants in my 5 gallon yesterday such as anubias, cardinalis, and dwarf hairgrass. I had java fern in another tank which I moved to this tank and it is doing really well I got 6 small plant growths off that 1 java fern . However the dwarf hairgrass was also in the other tank and was green but in 2 months didn't appear to be spreading or creating runners. I ordered some Flourish Excel and also some root tabs. Do you recommend root tabs for helping dwarf hairgrass grow?

Bryangar

I added several plants in my 5 gallon yesterday such as anubias, cardinalis, and dwarf hairgrass. I had java fern in another tank which I moved to this tank and it is doing really well I got 6 small plant growths off that 1 java fern . However the dwarf hairgrass was also in the other tank and was green but in 2 months didn't appear to be spreading or creating runners. I ordered some Flourish Excel and also some root tabs. Do you recommend root tabs for helping dwarf hairgrass grow?
What kind of substrate do you use? If you wang a carpet, it’ll take a long time with Co2 injections. They also need a small substrate to spread runners.

Stevo803

What kind of substrate do you use? If you wang a carpet, it’ll take a long time with Co2 injections. They also need a small substrate to spread runners.

I am using Seachem Flourite now before it was just generic pet store gravel.

Bryangar

?

Stevo803

Sorry not sure why it formatted like that. I am using Seachem Flourite

smee82

You pretty much need co2 for dwarf hairgrass to carpet. Since your tank is only 5 gallon I would try diy co2 mix

Stevo803

Dosing flourish excel won't work?

Bryangar

Dosing flourish excel won't work?
Sorry I meant it’ll take a while without Co2. Excel is more of an algaecide, not actually Co2.
You can still get a nice carpet of it. Have you seen FooThe Flowerhorn’s video on Youtube?He grows a nice carpet of hairgrass on his 5 gal. You should do a dirted tank. Use the Flourite as a cap or mix it with pea gravel.

Stevo803

Thanks
Sorry I meant it’ll take a while without Co2. Excel is more of an algaecide, not actually Co2.
You can still get a nice carpet of it. Have you seen FooThe Flowerhorn’s video on Youtube?He grows a nice carpet of hairgrass on his 5 gal. You should do a dirted tank. Use the Flourite as a cap or mix it with pea gravel.
thanks a lot! I will take a look at the video. I may get some dirt substrate from LFS and give it a try. I did place an order for better LED lights for my tank. Hopefully the Finnex 24/7 Planted light will help out too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
midna
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views