NEW PLANTS HELP!

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
618
Location
Baltimore
So one of our SUPER generous FL members has SO kindly mailed me plants, and paid shipping and all! I won’t mention the person by name so they don’t get inundated, yet they do post in Buy sell trade, and is sending free plants postage paid. So kind!

So she has sent me some Rotala, Anacharis and Salvinia. I have one show tank with BDBS, and in my new 40 gallon breeder, I got Flourite black sand (specifically called black sand, I hadn’t seen prior). Can anybody help me out with how to best transfer and help these plants flourish?! I set up this 40 quickly to help growing babies, so it has a Nicrew classic LED light (not as fancy to save $$$$), I bought an dimmer seperately. I have timers I can use. The tank has no lid. My other tank has an Aqueon Optibright + (if I can grow in there or switch out lighting between tanks (though I would rather not bc that show tank is so stunning and at a different home). I have read a lot about Thrive on here. What are the best products, and do I simply follow directions or does anybody have special hacks to make it work more effectively or efficiently?! I do not have CO2 and don’t even know how to use it, yet I will research and if you all say I need it I will make it happen! Please any and all advice is so appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!!
 
Best Answer - View angelcraze's answer

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,158
Reaction score
3,498
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Plant the Rotala in the sand, plant or float the anacharis, and let the salvinia float.
The Nicrew should work for less demanding plants. Do you know what type of rotala it is?
No need for CO2!
A fertilizer is a good idea though, ThriveC is popular and one of the cheapest all-in-one options
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
618
Location
Baltimore
-Mak- said:
Plant the Rotala in the sand, plant or float the anacharis, and let the salvinia float.
The Nicrew should work for less demanding plants. Do you know what type of rotala it is?
No need for CO2!
A fertilizer is a good idea though, ThriveC is popular and one of the cheapest all-in-one options
THANK YOU!!!!! Do you mean the liquid thrive, or the caps? Just want to be prepared! and I am hoping that by pushing the plants deep enough into the sand, that they will stay put. I have never been very clear on how to weigh them down with rocks! Thank you so much!
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,158
Reaction score
3,498
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
KribensisLover1 said:
THANK YOU!!!!! Do you mean the liquid thrive, or the caps? Just want to be prepared! and I am hoping that by pushing the plants deep enough into the sand, that they will stay put. I have never been very clear on how to weigh them down with rocks! Thank you so much!
Anything that roots will like the caps, but the liquid is all that is necessary. No problem! :)
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,852
Reaction score
4,153
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree you don't really need tabs with those plants.

About the anacharis, I used to tie it at the base and anchor it to a rock or weight. The stems put out anchor roots toward the substrate. These roots is what keeps them in place. The stem itself may rot out if it's planted too deep. But I definitely like to have anacharis reaching straight up as it looks neater. But lots of ppl like the jungly look too floating with roots budding all over. So you have options.

The salvinia is great for adding a bit of shade and floating (and emersed) plants are the best for slurping up nitrates.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
618
Location
Baltimore
angelcraze said:
Agree you don't really need tabs with those plants.

About the anacharis, I used to tie it at the base and anchor it to a rock or weight. The stems put out anchor roots toward the substrate. These roots is what keeps them in place. The stem itself may rot out if it's planted too deep. But I definitely like to have anacharis reaching straight up as it looks neater. But lots of ppl like the jungly look too floating with roots budding all over. So you have options.

The salvinia is great for adding a bit of shade and floating (and emersed) plants are the best for slurping up nitrates.
I have to look and see what each plant is again! I’m worried I planted the anacharis too deep so need to have that figured out. Planting is not easy. Seriously I was cursing a blue streak!! I am thrilled to have the plants but it wasn’t easy!
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
239
Guests online
3,814
Total visitors
4,053

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom