New plants for my 15gal.

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I was reading a book this morning about aquarium plants and the different type of plants you could have in different size tanks. In the book it showed a guide on how and what plants to put in a 15gal (which is the size tank I have) and where to put them in the tank. The layout sounded good and there was a diagram showing it as well, but no actual pic.  :-\ I'd never heard of some of the plants and thought you could maybe help me find out what they look like.

The plants were :
1) Hygrophila difformis (1 bunch)
2) Myriophyllum aquaticum (1 bunch)
3) Vallisneria spiralis (1 bunch) I know what this one is!!
4) Alternanthera reineckii, red (1 pot)
5) Microsorium pteropus (1 bunch)
6) Ludwigia mullertiI (1 bunch)
7) Echinodorus cordifolius (1 "mini" as a solitary plant)
8) Cryptocoryne affinis (1 bunch)
9) Echinodorus tenellus (3-5 pots)

They were numbered like this in the diagram. Can you help? I've tried to look up some but not all are in the book and they aren't very clear pics + Google can be a bit odd with me sometimes.

Thanks

Gwenz

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'v heard of several of them, plantgeek is a good place to enter them. Someof them I'v heard of them some of them not because they are scientific names. What it sounds like they are are a set of plants to get a heavily planted tank going. granted I would think they are assuming you have higher wattage co2 and ferts for them, not sure though. Best to enter the names atplant geek.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking that they probably mean for them to have higherwattage c02 and ferts, but thought maybe I could just pick 2/3 of them and put them in my tank.

I will check onplant geek.

thanks

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
There are plenty of plants that will do fine in lower light and will look great. I personally don't believe in arranging something like a fish tank according to some guidelines, so I'd suggest picking what plants are available to you (either from a single website or a local store) and arrange them as you'd like. When you start getting into the more obscure and uncommon plants they get hard to find, and even harder to find accurate care info on whether or not they will thrive in your tank.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I completely agree with Marc, I like picking out my own plants and not having to use certain ones.

Gwenz said:
Thanks. I was thinking that they probably mean for them to have higherwattage c02 and ferts, but thought maybe I could just pick 2/3 of them and put them in my tank.

I will check onplant geek.

thanks

Gwenz
Some might but if you have high enough light there are plenty of plants that you can choose that will just grow slower without ferts and co2 like Marc said

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I will see what is in my lfs, but they don't often label their plants so don't know what they are. I do know of 1 plant site online that looks good. What do you think?

I've had a look on there for other plants.

What do you think of these:

Echinodorus tenellus
Anubias nana
Red vallis
Red Ludwigia?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I think those last choices look good. Make your tank practical with what is available to you, what is affordable, and what you can keep in your tank according to your lighting. Plantgeeks is a great place to do the research on the plants you like. They also tell you the height of each plant so you know where to plant it in your tank.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Gunnie, all my plants are from my lfs's and I'm doing good, ask your parents if they would take you once to a far away shop that have plants and print out a list of plants you'd like or could work in your tank from plantgeek, that's what I did and I'm having great luck. Ordering plants online sometimes works out, sometimes they send you the wrong plants, I think at plantgeek they have a swap and you could get plants there cheaper or free ask gunnie

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
atmmachine said:
I agree with Gunnie, all my plants are from my lfs's and I'm doing good, ask your parents if they would take you once to a far away shop that have plants and print out a list of plants you'd like or could work in your tank from plantgeek, that's what I did and I'm having great luck.  Ordering plants online sometimes works out, sometimes they send you the wrong plants, I think at plantgeek they have a swap and you could get plants there cheaper or free ask gunnie
does have a swap forum where you can get clippings from other hobbyists at a very reduced price. Sometimes you only have to pay for shipping. Also, try and find a local fish club or society nearby where you can meet local hobbyists, and possibly set up a network to buy sell or trade locally. It's always better to get your fish and plants from a hobbyist. They usually take much better care of them.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
does have a swap forum where you can get clippings from other hobbyists at a very reduced price. Sometimes you only have to pay for shipping. Also, try and find a local fish club or society nearby where you can meet local hobbyists, and possibly set up a network to buy sell or trade locally. It's always better to get your fish and plants from a hobbyist. They usually take much better care of them.
Agreed, lfs's have pretty crappy stock usually, except for Aquarium Adventure, though not many people have that near them ;D

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I've been on plantgeek before, but I live in Southwales UK. I doubt they ship to uk.

Plus don't think that there is a local fish club or society nearby where I can meet local hobbyists. Localy noone really keeps fish and where I live, don't expect to find any kind of club nearby. There is basicaly nothing to do where I live and for some reason people around here think it's really weird to keep fish (have no idea why though!! ??? ) Basicaly you can't do anything without being judged + I get enough hassel at school without people making fun of me outside of school!!

I know one fish store that is about 40minuts away that has some good plants but I hardly ever go there. I usualy get taken there for a treat or in the summer so mum can buy some garden plants too (theres a garden centre right opposite the fs).

thanks

Gwenz

New Threads