New Plants Dying (pictures) Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by BirdMom, Apr 14, 2018.

1. B

BirdMom New Member Member

I just bought these plants about 5 days ago & some of them are dying While others seem to be doing well can you tell me what's going on with them & what I can do to save them?

Also my pest snails seem to have died or disappeared out of the tank I can't find them there was 6 of them and I haven't seen any in 2 days my ammonia levels have been bouncing between 0.25 and 1ppm no nitrates or nitrites yet no other livestock in the Aquarium.

I use seachem products including flourish root tabs they have me dosing the tank every 48 hours with Prime to keep the ammonia level more stable (I called & asked what to do) my pH is also been bouncing between 6.8 - 7.8.

This tank has pretty much refuse to cycle so far it's been about 6 weeks I was hoping the plants would help but so far no luck it's had an entire 500ml bottle of stability added at this point to it as well as a bottle tetra safestart.

I'm more concerned about saving the plants at this point but any tips on what I can do to help cycle the aquarium would be helpful as well.

Attached Files:

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

i don't see anything terribly wrong with your plants. the banana looks fine and the crypts are experiencng a melt back. cryptocoryne is very sensitive to different water chemistry and sometimes they melt back. Sometimes just a few leaves, others a entire plant.

3. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

If they are emmersed plants (which about 75% places out there are) then crypts or ot, they can and will sometimes melt...but then, recooperate. Adding TSS was a good idea. I just used that 3 weeks ago in my livebearers tank. It worked well in conjunction with the TSS. Keep monitoring your water. Keep up the the Prime regimen. And mostly, be patient. You're doing everything 100% correctly. : )

4. OP
    OP
    B

All the plants were submerged when I bought them but I have no idea whether or not they were grown that way.

So should I just let the plants be or should I remove the leaves that really look like poop?

Thanks for all the help

5. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I think the plants look fine. I'd leave them and let the melting bits make ammonia to feed your cycle. There are no fish in the tank right? You don't need to be dosing prime if you don't have any fish to protect.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Let them be. The C.wendtii is adapting (water / lighting) and will be allright.
    I always state it will even grow in motoroil (don't try). Survived years of fishkeeping (and frogs)

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Your plants are experiencing melting. It happens when it gets into a new tank. New environment it will adjust to it. Give it time.

I would cut the melting leafs away so that way it can focus its energy to growing new leafs.

8. SFGiantsGuy

Let 'em be for now, but if the leaves start to fall off, get 'em out (of course lol)

9. OP
    OP
    B

@MissRuthless the only thing in there are the plants & the pest snails which as I said I haven't seen you in a few days but half are tiny. I actually want to keep them alive & healthy.

The representative at Seachem said that keeping me ammonia low will also help the plants, I don't know how true that is but I am just following their directions.

10. SFGiantsGuy

Hmmm, dunno. Perhaps be wary of any Seacheam's ideas and advice. Because when plants are newly introduced, they have their own apprehensive battle to fight: Shock, shock from being emmersed, water ph, light, their own biological cycles to imperatively adjust to etc. And they may not be at their 100% integrity and strength just yet. Because when plants are deprived out of a specific nutrient, they go into yo-yo mode. Meaning when a ceratain nutrient is NOT present, they have the high potential to alter their internal chemistry to seek out other nutrients to compensate. And when the deprived nutrient returns, they shift over to that absent nutrient, back and forth back and forth especially. Then the consequence being, they will not grow correctly...or if all. And when starting out a new tank, it would defeat the purpose of even owning dead plants as BB fodder to feed the ammonia, in turn, then to the BB.

Ehh well......if they're already melting some, then let 'em be. The dead leaves will help the BB. AS will the live plants as well. I think I stated that correclty in my babbling in my last post... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  11. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I suppose extremely high ammonia may melt the plants some, but I've never had that issue. Before I had a test kit I drove the ammonia in one of my communities up to 8ppm and somehow the plants survived. Keep in mind that most plants prefer to eat ammonia rather than nitrate - it is this reason that allows one to use live plants in lieu of a filter in a properly set-up tank (see Walstad method). Changing the water periodically will help keep the ammonia on the lower side if you're worried about it, but I don't think adding prime or not makes a lick of difference to the plants so I'd stop wasting it if I were you. I'm sure if I'm wrong on that someone will correct me, but prime only bonds ammonia into ammonium temporarily, it doesn't make it go away, and I don't think the plants care what form it's in.

As for the snails... they're about the hardest thing to kill that could possibly take up residence in your tank. I recently had a BAD nitrate spike in my snail-infested tank (over 160ppm, I was super depressed and stopped taking care of the tank for awhile because I'm a bad fish mom) and literally every living creature in there died, except the hoard of snails. Even the snails I put there on purpose (nerite, mystery and assassin) died, but the pest snails survived and even kept multiplying while the tank was insanely toxic. So again, periodic water changes will help keep the ammonia down if you're worried about them, but prime is kinda expensive and I wouldn't dose it daily if you don't have fish to protect.

Edit: are you really a bird mom? What kind of birds? I have four conures and an old cranky cockatiel :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    B

My plants have gotten so much worse & the snails are still MIA even the Anubis seems to be turning slightly yellow and I now have yellow and brown spots on my I don't know what plant is but it's the biggest and prettiest plant in there or at least it was.

Both Moss balls are browning as well.

I added another root tab but I don't know what else to do. Nitrate & Nitrate level are 0 ammonia level is 0.25 PPM

Attached Files:

13. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

just try something for a week and a half. Stop dosing with nutrients and put carbon back into your aquarium. Your nutrient levels could be too high causing poor plant growth.

14. OP
    OP
    B

I will give it a try

15. OP
    OP
    B

Most of the plants have seem to turn the corner and are doing well however the tall one in this picture still is looking like poop but the two little plantlets it's growing seem to be looking nice and are putting out the beginnings of roots.

My Moss balls still is discolored but I haven't seen any other worrying symptoms.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice