New Plants Arriving

1. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Hi, I have a java fern and an anubias arriving today, my first live plants ever for my 10 gallon. I ordered one of each-they look to be in a small pot. Can I please get advice on how to plant them in my aquarium? Out of the pot I assume? Can they be separated somehow into multiple pieces? I hope I don't kill them. Thank you!

2. manzeez

manzeez Valued Member Member

they need to be put on wood or rocks with string or glue;)

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

As long as the rhizome on either plant isn't buried, they should be fine either planted or tied/glued to rocks/driftwood.

4. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

Ok. Thanks for the help, I have cholla arriving next week that will help, until then I'll try to work it out. Also, can they be pulled from the root to make more than one? Or plant it whole as they come?

5. el337

I've never split them since the varieties I've gotten were small to begin with. I'm guessing you could though but I'll let others chime in.

6. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

If the rhizome is large enough u may be able to split them but r taking a chance. The only plant i split was my anubias nana petite..which did great. I usually just let the plant grow itself as aquarium plants r expensive.

EDIT- u may have an easier time splitting the java fern versus the anubias. I also remove all the packing in the pots that is around the roots. I cut the pot in many different pieces to ensure the roots stay intact.

7. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I was rather pleasantly surprised by the size of the Anubias I got mail order- huge rhizome which let me divide it with lots of roots on both sides. Both have done well, despite being dug up and floated by my Nerite snail several times. I've had to resort to repotting them, with the sides of the pots cut out to allow the roots to spread. So far this has worked well- no floating Anubias, and they seem to be doing well.

8. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

Good to know about cutting pot to not tear the roots!

Oh man, got a nerite yesterday. Lol
    Thanks everyone. I may be back!!

9. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

They're here. Do they look healthy?

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

And what is this? Do I remove spongy thing? Are those seeds? I'm lost any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

Me again!!! Apparently upon research I need a rock, I'm guessing I can get an outdoor rock and boil the bajeezus out of it?? Until my cholla comes in to attach it to?

12. el337

They look pretty healthy to me. Yes, remove the spongey part. You don't need to purposely get an outdoor rock to attach it to. It's not going to attach that quickly and if your cholla is coming next week, just float it in your tank for the time being. You don't want to boil the rock. I've read some can explode.

13. California L33

They look glorious. And yeah, remove the spongy things.

14. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

Thanks for the quick reply, I have 2 small rocks, vinegar tested and now soaking in hot water, I was going to use those until next week. Maybe now I won't if it's not needed.

Thank you!! Spongy thing gone;)

15. el337

Yeah, seems like more work than needed if you're just going to remove and attach them again to something else.

16. California L33

Oh, and rinse the plants in cool water before putting them in the aquarium. My concern over the spongy things would be that they contain a non fish safe fertilizer- probably not an issue, but just in case. You don't need to go crazy, just a couple of dunks and swishes in clean water will get rid of anything strong that would immediately get into the tank.

17. OP
    OP
    WTFish?

Thank you all!!