New Planted Tank, Proper Flow And Dead Spots Question

  • Thread starter MetalMachine
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Hello,

I've just setup my first tank, a 30 gallon long (80x35x40cm). Atm I only have a aquaclear 50 for flow and I've noticed that I have a few dead spots where no flow reaches. I've been told that all plants should at least sway a bit so that it's easier for them to get nutrients from the water and that no debris or algae settles on them.

So now after scouring the internet for solutions, I'm considering if I should get an air stone or a powerhead and would appreciate some advice on the matter.

And while I'm here, could someone also take a look at the java fern pic and explain those brown and black spots, if it's only dmg from shipping, die back to adjust to new water parameters or something else (I've got the plants 3 days ago and setup the tank the same day).

Here's some pictures for a easier understanding of the situation.
Along with a painting in MS Paint to describe the flow(Dark blue filter output, blue is good flow, light blue decent flow, orange is barely noticeable and red is nonexistent).

Front.jpg
Top.jpg
Java Fern.jpg
 

Attachments

  • #2

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,727
I would do an air stone personally. And we have similiar substrate idea lol20181222_132351.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Ann Daniel said:
I would do an air stone personally. And we have similiar substrate idea lol
Would you recommend 2 air stones for each dead corner or just 1 for the right corner? I plan to get some neon tetras, otos and RCS and I don't know if they would prefer a dead spot for resting or not.
 
  • #4

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,727
MetalMachine said:
Would you recommend 2 air stones for each dead corner or just 1 for the right corner? I plan to get some neon tetras, otos and RCS and I don't know if they would prefer a dead spot for resting or not.
I would do 1 then and keep plants that don't mind stiller water in the dead corner.
 
  • #5

Sunflower

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,369
Java fern naturally has brown and black spots, that’s where the java fern runners come from
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Ann Daniel said:
I would do 1 then and keep plants that don't mind stiller water in the dead corner.
In both dead corners I currently have dwarf ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora). Would it be fine to leave it there? Otherwise I can also wait on my Matogrosso milfoil (Myriophyllum mattogrossense) to grow a bit and plant it there.
 
  • #7

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,727
MetalMachine said:
In both dead corners I currently have dwarf ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora). Would it be fine to leave it there? Otherwise I can also wait on my Matogrosso milfoil (Myriophyllum mattogrossense) to grow a bit and plant it there.
I don't know the answer to that one.
 
  • #8

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,016
Silister Trench could give you some ideas. His stuff is crazy high-tech but I'm sure he has some more modest solutions.
 
  • #9

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,363
I would just put a smaller circulation pump in the orange red corner facing the other red corner.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Wraithen said:
I would just put a smaller circulation pump in the orange red corner facing the other red corner.
Do you mean something like this? Since this tank is in my bedroom could you recommend a quiet circulation pump if you know any?
 
  • #11

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,363
MetalMachine said:
Do you mean something like this? Since this tank is in my bedroom could you recommend a quiet circulation pump if you know any?
Ive never heard a circulation pump. They are like a powerhead, only a less directed flow. Think a flashlight vs a laser.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Wraithen said:
Ive never heard a circulation pump. They are like a powerhead, only a less directed flow. Think a flashlight vs a laser.
Excuse the stupid question, but I'm not a native english speaker and completely new to the hobby so I don't yet understand specific terms.
When you say a circulation pump do you mean something like or something like this. Are they both circulation pumps(since they are both called that) or is either of them a powerhead?

And you've said to mount it something akin to the attached (green). Does it matter how high or low they are mounted?
 

Attachments

  • #13

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,363
The second one is a circulation pump. The first link was a powerhead.

You will have to experiment with location and direction until it works for you.

I would place it directly over the red area on the right. Point it towards the red area on the left. This may not work, but should be close to where it needs to be.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

MetalMachine

New Member
Member
Messages
18
Wraithen said:
The second one is a circulation pump. The first link was a powerhead.

You will have to experiment with location and direction until it works for you.

I would place it directly over the red area on the right. Point it towards the red area on the left. This may not work, but should be close to where it needs to be.
Thanks for the help!
Would you also happen to know what's with my java fern? That brown and black dying off with little holes appearing, is it normal for a new plant (3 days since I got it) or is it something more serous?

Java Fern.jpg
 
  • #15

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,363
Did you plant it? You can't plant it, or it will die.

If you did not plant it, it might be melting, which is normal for new plants. As long as that big root part (rhizome) stays healthy, the plant should recover.
 
Top Bottom