New Plant quarantine procedure?

1. D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

Ok, I've ordered plants for the first time from an unknown source, so I have no idea what the plant could be bringing with it. Is there any procedure I should use to make sure it does not introduce anything nasty to my tank?

2. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

There is a potassium permanganate dip out there that is supposed to be good... but if you don't have that (as you probably don't have on hand ;D ) then you could do a 2 or 3 minute dip in a 1 part bleach 19 parts water solution. That should work for most hitchhikers and is a lot cheaper.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I do an ice dip for all my plants....a nice bowl of cold water with ice and dip 4-5 times...im scared of bleach as im afraid of the plants leaching some into it...but thats me ;D

4. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Good point, if you do the bleach dip make sure you rinse them off in water afterward, at least untill you can't smell any more bleach.

5. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

thanks for the responses - I am about to receive a shipment of plants as well, had no idea about 'sanitising' them! Great post...

6. OP
    OP
    D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

Cool, thanks for the replies. I looked up the potassium pomegranate stuff and apparently Jungle Clear Water is made with it which both Petsmart and Wal-mart carry. So, I went and bought some of it. Didn't hurt my newly arrived anubias at all.

The only problem I had is that the roots were in some kind of clay/silicone stuff that I could not remove no matter what I tried. I let soak for a long while, I am just hoping that substrate concoction they used doesn't have any nasties in it.