New piece of mopani

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Joel2036, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Got a nice pice of Mopani today for 12 dollars :)
    But it does not stop leaching tannins !!
    Been boiling for about 4 hours now and it seems to be getting worse :p starting to think that I might like the tannin water hahhaa I'll leave it all tomorrow and see how it goes :) if not it is going in !! :) got 2 small pieces of anubias and some java fern ready to he tied on :D

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Joel,
    Congrat's on the new wood. Some pieces of wood 'never' stop leaching tannins - by never, I mean it can take many many years.

If it is something that bothers you, Activated Carbon may help to absorb the tannins, but I have also seen setups where it doesn't make any difference. It's a bit hit 'n' miss.

Best of luck (and don't forget a photo of the new piece in the tank :D)

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yeah I heard some of them just constantly leak tannins, but I guess it wouldn't look horrible,
    I am already going for a natural creek/river look and tannins could look nice, it is just a 8g tank with a single betta in it, and I heard the tannins can be good for a betta or is that a myth ?

But deffinatly will upload a photo :) I purchased it today and I have boiled it for about 2-3 hours of constant boiling and changing the water, would it be safe to put in ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  4. ryanr

Not sure on the betta/tannins thing.

I would think the wood should be ok to put in.

5. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Finished boiling the tannins stopped all of a sudden which is good :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356090690.980341.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356090839.700830.jpg
    Put 2 clumps of anubias on and a bit of java moss can't wait for it to grow out !!
    Btw the tank was already pretty yellow because of the light I used :)

6. ryanr

Nice!

That looks great!

7. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

That looks pretty cool Joel nice find :)

8. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thank you :) I wanted a piece with some plants on it but there so expensive !! So I DIY as usual :) all together cost me about 18 bucks and I could make a few of them :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  9. callistra

callistra New Member Member

Bettas like the tannins, but if you have really soft water you need to be careful because these tannis will drop your ph and you don't want to cause swings or have it be acidic.. but for most of us that have very hard water these are great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice