New Pictus Tank

danielsnod12
I have anew 40 gallon breeder tank that I’ve bought, I’ve done let it cycle for about two weeks with out fish and then a week and a half with a few black skirt tetras. I’m wanting to move my 1 1/2 year old pictus cat into this tank and kinda have a tetra themed tank with him, I was thinking around 5 red eyes, 3 black-skirt and 3 white skirt, along with 4 Julie Cory cats. Is there room for some more species of tetras? If so what kind? Also will my pictus cat fish get along with these fish? If you have any other stocking ideas better than this it would be greatly appreciated, thanks

MacZ
In a 40 things can become cramped, I'd actually keep pictus in a group. Instead of adding the cories. Otherwise make sure the tetras don't fit in its mouth.

danielsnod12
MacZ said:
In a 40 things can become cramped, I'd actually keep pictus in a group. Instead of adding the cories. Otherwise make sure the tetras don't fit in its mouth.
Thank you for the response!, so would getting one more pictus do fine and then get a few schools of big species tetras? For example, skirt tetras and maybe runny nose?

Donovan Jones
Personally I'd up the pictus to like 6 to 8 and do no other fish, they're mesmerizing in groups. They also have the tetra shine to them, and school reasonably well. You could add floaters to darken it up and make them more comfortable

MacZ
danielsnod12 said:
Thank you for the response!, so would getting one more pictus do fine and then get a few schools of big species tetras? For example, skirt tetras and maybe runny nose?
No Rummynose. They sleep too close to the ground. I'd go 3 pictus of same size and maybe 10 blackskirts and be done with the stocking.

Donovan Jones said:
Personally I'd up the pictus to like 6 to 8 and do no other fish, they're mesmerizing in groups. They also have the tetra shine to them, and school reasonably well. You could add floaters to darken it up and make them more comfortable
That's what I would actually do in a 100 with a group of tetras on top.

Latest threads

Top Bottom