New pearl ...grow out or add to tank?

sillylittlefishey

So I originally had 4 pearl gourami, all too young to sex. One of them died in QT, and the bigger 2 seem to pick on the 3rd now. Nothing serious but that one is usually hiding. It will occasionally come near the others but not often.

I went to get a few more to see if that would help. All but one pearl my LFS had were at least twice the size of mine, and they had one that was smaller than mine. We got the small one and some von rio tetras. The new fish have been in QT for nearly a month now, and the original 3 pearls are in the main tank (55 US gallons).

The original pearls seem to have grown ... I have one that is probably 2 inches, the other two slightly smaller. However, the new pearl is about an inch and QT is almost up and I'm concerned about putting it in with the others. We do not have a full school of von rios yet either. We had 3, but one appeared to have swim bladder and the small pearl killed it.

I'm debating on putting all 3 that are in QT (2 von rios & the small pearl) into the main tank. Or if I should leave the pearl in the QT to grow out a bit more? But then I wonder if I should finish out my school of tetras before adding them or if the 2 would be okay.

Qt is 14 gallons

Thoughts?

Noroomforshoe

Tetra can be stressed in schools of less then 6, or, for the smaller fish like the van rio, they can get stressed even in schools of less then 9. I would not want to add all those beautiful long finned pearl gaurami and wind up with nipped fins or a case of ich.

As for the gourami, I know that quarantine is important, but these are delicate and easilly stressed fish. I personally would want to get them into there forever home ASAP. That's just me. You have to weigh the pros and cons of longer quarantine to prevent infecting the main tank, or shorter quarantine to destress new fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views