New Peacock Tank

SinisterCichlids

Hello all,

I am setting up a new 75 gallon male peacock tank. I wanted to get all young males so I can grow them out. I haven't bought any new hardscape yet but I am going to go with dragon stone or seiryu stone in the next week or so. In the meantime, I threw some old decor for them to explore around. I wanted to share some pictures of the new fish! I definitely plan on getting a ngara flametail, sulferhead, dragonblood, and a yellow canary ob. Not sure what else I want to get, definitely staying away from haps this time around.

So far I have a red apache, ob dragon blood, Rasberry ob, sunshine, regal, and what I believe is a ruby red. Enjoy the pictures and let me know what you guys think. They have taken well to new life spectrum, so probably going to stick with that for them.

Attachments

• IMG_9450.jpg
    IMG_9450.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9451.jpg
    IMG_9451.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9452.jpg
    IMG_9452.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9453.jpg
    IMG_9453.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9454.jpg
    IMG_9454.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9455.jpg
    IMG_9455.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 34

AggressiveAquatics

Hello all,

I am setting up a new 75 gallon male peacock tank. I wanted to get all young males so I can grow them out. I haven't bought any new hardscape yet but I am going to go with dragon stone or seiryu stone in the next week or so. In the meantime, I threw some old decor for them to explore around. I wanted to share some pictures of the new fish! I definitely plan on getting a ngara flametail, sulferhead, dragonblood, and a yellow canary ob. Not sure what else I want to get, definitely staying away from haps this time around.

So far I have a red apache, ob dragon blood, Rasberry ob, sunshine, regal, and what I believe is a ruby red. Enjoy the pictures and let me know what you guys think. They have taken well to new life spectrum, so probably going to stick with that for them.
Cool! I wanted to get dragon stone for my tank but it sooooo expensive atleast where I was looking

SinisterCichlids

Prices by me are $3.50 - $5 per pound. Petco also sells a bag or dragonstone by imaginitarium that is a pretty good price per pound, but those are for 20g and smaller tanks for sure. AggressiveAquatics

emilymg

wow, beautiful fish!

SinisterCichlids

wow, beautiful fish!

Thank you, they are young males all-around 2.5 - 3 inches. Definitely starting to show off their color! Really happy with the fish and what I have plannd for this tank. It is running a fluval fx4 and two hob marineland 350s.

SinisterCichlids

BigBeardDaHuZi they are showing a lot of color at 3 inches. I was a bit skeptical, what do you think? Going to run a fluval fx4 and two marineland 350 hobs. Probably going to do the tank in sieryu stone or dragon stone.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Gorge
Hello all,

Gorgeous! Fantastic camera work too
Nice one

I have a ruby red like that one. Brick red was not a color I was expecting to find. Really stoked about that fish

BigBeardDaHuZi they are showing a lot of color at 3 inches. I was a bit skeptical, what do you think? Going to run a fluval fx4 and two marineland 350 hobs. Probably going to do the tank in sieryu stone or dragon stone.
A201, jmaldo and MacZ are the real experts. I've done a boatload of research but Africans will be a new cichlid for me.

How long have you had them? If they've been eating proper food - no hormones - for two weeks or more, than those are probably their proper colors.
I have four cichlids that size that have been sitting in a quarantine tank for a few weeks. They were doped, of course. I bought them before I found that breeder.
They lost their amazing colors slowly over two weeks. Except for the Rubin Red (around 2.5 - 3 inches) who has kept his full battle dress and rules the tank.

Your fish look fantastic though

MacZ

Maybe some hormone treatment, but they start getting colour at that size or a bit above. Can't say much about the filters, but the rocks: Take Seiryu stone. Dragon stone has too many sharp edges, when the fish chase each other or scratch (yes, Malawis do that even without parasites sometimes), that stuff is like a cheese grater. Seiryu doubles as raising hardness.

A201

IMO, limestone works best in an African tank. In most cases it will put the PH at 8.2 & buffer against a PH crash. Limestone can be abrasive, but with a coating of algae, things level out.
NLS is a top notch food & I have fed it to my Africans in the past. It's also expensive & not readily available in my area. I found Omega One products
to be a good & more reasonably priced alternative to NLS. The fish appear to grow just as fast & are very colorful.
Your filtration is more than adequate, but a weekly 30% to 50% WC will still be required to help ward off disease.
jmaldo is following the same path as you. Maybe you two can compare notes occasionally. Things are looking good.

jmaldo

"Beautiful"
Just started my journey with Africans still a rookie and learning from A201 MacZ the experts and a few others but "Thanks" BigBeardDaHuZi
Planned on an all Male tank. Purchased juveniles 36 in total, approx 3/4-1", majority had no color except for a few "Haps".
After 2.5 months, I have what appear to be 6 dominate males (2") starting to color up one of each type and a few sub-dominate males? Anybody want some females?
I have heard of hormone enhancing, food and such. But no idea it was so prevalent. What a shame to bring home fish and after a few weeks/months the color fades.
Started feeding flakes along with pellets I had on hand from breeding Bolivians/EBA from https://fishguysplace.com/index.html
Also, 2x a week I feed frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and just started mysis shrimp.
Just recently switched to Xtreme flakes and pellets.
They devour anything that I give them.

Good Luck!

SinisterCichlids

IMO, limestone works best in an African tank. In most cases it will put the PH at 8.2 & buffer against a PH crash. Limestone can be abrasive, but with a coating of algae, things level out.
NLS is a top notch food & I have fed it to my Africans in the past. It's also expensive & not readily available in my area. I found Omega One products
to be a good & more reasonably priced alternative to NLS. The fish appear to grow just as fast & are very colorful.
Your filtration is more than adequate, but a weekly 30% to 50% WC will still be required to help ward off disease.
jmaldo is following the same path as you. Maybe you two can compare notes occasionally. Things are looking good.

Thanks for the advice. I've had limestone in another tank, so I am not going to go that route again hahah. Luckily for me, my tap water has a pH of 8.2 so I never have to mess with it. Never used Omega One products, NLS is a really easy buy for me around my area. Have used Hikari in a pinch before though.

Yeah, the filtration is definitely good. Definitely a 30% water change once a week. Do you ever fast your peacocks?

A201, jmaldo and MacZ are the real experts. I've done a boatload of research but Africans will be a new cichlid for me.

How long have you had them? If they've been eating proper food - no hormones - for two weeks or more, than those are probably their proper colors.
I have four cichlids that size that have been sitting in a quarantine tank for a few weeks. They were doped, of course. I bought them before I found that breeder.
They lost their amazing colors slowly over two weeks. Except for the Rubin Red (around 2.5 - 3 inches) who has kept his full battle dress and rules the tank.

4 of them I got online at snake river cichlids a few weeks ago. 2 of them I got at a new LFS. I was wondering how long hormoned fish would hold color?

"Beautiful"
Just started my journey with Africans still a rookie and learning from A201 MacZ the experts and a few others but "Thanks" BigBeardDaHuZi
Planned on an all Male tank. Purchased juveniles 36 in total, approx 3/4-1", majority had no color except for a few "Haps".
After 2.5 months, I have what appear to be 6 dominate males (2") starting to color up one of each type and a few sub-dominate males? Anybody want some females?
I have heard of hormone enhancing, food and such. But no idea it was so prevalent. What a shame to bring home fish and after a few weeks/months the color fades.
Started feeding flakes along with pellets I had on hand from breeding Bolivians/EBA from https://fishguysplace.com/index.html
Also, 2x a week I feed frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and just started mysis shrimp.
Just recently switched to Xtreme flakes and pellets.
They devour anything that I give them.

Good Luck!

Yep I was pretty surprised how quickly they took to the NLS. Still in the breeder box munching away fresh out of the plastic bag. Yeah, I wanna stay away from haps this time around and just focus on peacocks. Would love to see the tank! So far everyone is holding their color and actually looking better than when I got them. Who knows though!

Maybe some hormone treatment, but they start getting colour at that size or a bit above. Can't say much about the filters, but the rocks: Take Seiryu stone. Dragon stone has too many sharp edges, when the fish chase each other or scratch (yes, Malawis do that even without parasites sometimes), that stuff is like a cheese grater. Seiryu doubles as raising hardness.

Great point about the dragon stone. Gonna go with Seiryu, thanks for mentioning that. Yeah, I have noticed a lot of my mbuna scratching at the sand to kick up debris searching for food. I hate when they do that because my brain automatically jumps to ich haha.

How does your ruby red look compared to mine? They are both 2.5 - 3 inches. I was the most skeptical of the ruby because that red should take some time to develop, like sunshines and flametails, they really need to mature to blossom.

MacZ

Great point about the dragon stone. Gonna go with Seiryu, thanks for mentioning that. Yeah, I have noticed a lot of my mbuna scratching at the sand to kick up debris searching for food. I hate when they do that because my brain automatically jumps to ich haha.

Just add some tablespoons of salt with every waterchange. Maybe half a dozen to a dozen. For Rift Lake cichlids that's the equivalent of tannins for blackwater fish. Good for the immune system and the slime coat.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
Lebeeze
  • Question
Replies