New Peacock gudgeon tank! ...and questions

Tilderjones

I found Peacock gudgeons at my LFS the other day and I fell in love with these interesting little fish.
I got 5 for my 20 gal long tank, 2 males and 3 females, they're still juveniles but already the males are sporting rounder heads and more vivid color, they are also larger. The females have more delicate pointed faces, way smaller, and two of them have rounder bellies. So far they've eaten both frozen foods and crushed flakes, as well as tiny pellets, don't seem picky with food. I have a few questions for people who have experience with them.

They are currently sharing the tank with 4 peppered cories, neither fish is afraid or aggressive to the other, so far...but since the cories are such active bottom dwellers I was wondering if they will stop the spawning attempts of the gudgeons? Would I have to remove the cories be able to breed the gudgeons in the future? Will cories find and eat the eggs?

Another breeding question...Will the gudgeons eat all the fry once they hatch? Will some survive by hiding in floating plants and crevices, or would I need a separate tank?

EDIT: one more question... What small fish would go well with these guys? What would you put with them in that tank, if anything?

Here are some pics...they're still getting used to things, but seem to explore and come to the front a lot too.

One of the females playing with snails:

You must be registered to see images

One of the males, showing off:

yukondog

I to just got some, two females and one male and from what I have read you will need to remove both male and female, but I have know experience breeding these guy's yet, I will be in the near future. Good luck

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Lovely gudgeons!

In a 20 long, I'd expect two males would be okay as long as there are enough nesting sites for both of them.

Have they started breeding yet, and if so did they seem bothered by the cories? The male will defend the nest so he'd likely chase off any curious cories so they couldn't eat his eggs.

The parents (and possibly cories?) will likely eat all the fry once they're free-swimming, though there's always an exception to the rule. A few might manage to hide/survive if there's enough plants and decor, though no guarantee. If you hope to raise groups of fry, I'd strongly recommend a separate tank to ensure their survival.

Upvote 0

Tilderjones

Lovely gudgeons!

In a 20 long, I'd expect two males would be okay as long as there are enough nesting sites for both of them.

Have they started breeding yet, and if so did they seem bothered by the cories? The male will defend the nest so he'd likely chase off any curious cories so they couldn't eat his eggs.

The parents (and possibly cories?) will likely eat all the fry once they're free-swimming, though there's always an exception to the rule. A few might manage to hide/survive if there's enough plants and decor, though no guarantee. If you hope to raise groups of fry, I'd strongly recommend a separate tank to ensure their survival.

Thanks!
I've taken the cories out over a month ago (they went into my 55 gal community), and the group of gudgeons (I ended up getting 8 - 3 males and 5 females) have been doing great! Now that they've gotten used to their home, if they're not begging for food they're dancing around in pairs doing mating dances, its fun to watch, the male will show off and and dance to the female then circle around her, then swim away and the female chases him back There's rocks and driftwood to hide in and they dissapear from time to time in pairs, I imagine they're eating their eggs if they've had any so far.

They absolutely love frozen food (mini-mysis and blood worms) and hate any flakes/pellets, they'll reject the flakes and wait for frozen food, only eating bits of flake as a last resort. But they beg so cutely I give in and give them frozen almost all the time. Spoiled little fish!

Here's a pic of a male (eating a bloodworm), a female and some together, they've been developing nicely and still growing a bit too:

I've just added a group of 8 cardinal tetras into their 20-long home, so now there are 8 gudgeons and 8 cardinals. The cardinals give such a nice contrasting color to the gudgeons! They're both the same size roughly and like to stay in their own shoals, they also like similar water...so far seems like a nice mix, we'll see with time. I'll update with some pics after the cardinals feel more at home.

Upvote 0

Tilderjones

Here's a short video of two males fighting while a female watches them. Sorry for the crappy phone video quality, all I had. You can see how fast they can be when fighting...but they never hurt one another.

And there's a longer video of them eating and hanging out doing their regular stuff...(I do realize I gave them too many bloodworms that day and there are an army of snails in there, but somehow that tank stays nice and clean with minimum upkeep, for some reason more so then my others... )

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Filmpunk18
  • Question