new peacock eel feeding

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by gmc1996, Apr 15, 2010.

1. gmc1996

gmc1996New MemberMember

Hi all.

I just got a new peacock eel ( about 7 inches) and he has been added to a 60 gallon planted tank.

The only other fish in the tank are about 10 sarpae tetras.

I put frozen bloodworms in at night and they fall to the bottom...Im not sure if he's eating them though, i think he is because i dont see the tetras picking them off the sand, but then again i dont see him doing that either..

any suggestions?

thanks all

2. OP
    OP
    gmc1996

gmc1996New MemberMember

anyone?

3. OP
    OP
    gmc1996

gmc1996New MemberMember

4. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore! :sign0016:

That's odd, no one seemed to reply to your thread. I'm sorry. Well, I'll be the first one and I'll try to help you out. :)

You feed them at night right? Do you turn off the lights or anything? Because some fish are quite shy and they tend to only eat when no one's watching or when it's dark. I use to have fish like that.

5. fish LoganNew MemberMember

I happen to love the freshwater "eels". You have to remember that these fish are primarily nocturnal so they are more active at night. Also I find that these eels, especially the peacock eel, aquire a personallity of their own. Some are friendly, some are attatched, and others, like yours may be, are shy. So try and turn all the lights off and leave. If that doesn't work try another food. I heard they have quite the taste for regular old earthworms. ;D

6. lostsoulstav

lostsoulstavNew MemberMember

I had a peacock eel for about 5 years. I usually fed him frozen blood worms because the little bricks float for awhile and he could carry a whole bunch with him to eat. When I first got him he had trouble finding the bloodworms and the other fish usually got them first. After a couple months he got better at it though and loved them. I'd suggest you just keep trying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice