New Pea Puffer & Glass Surfing Help

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Bbbecca, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Bbbecca

BbbeccaNew MemberMember

Hello all - this is my first post. I made this account to ask about pea puffers. This is my first one!

I got the pea puffer two days ago. He/she is solo in my 5 gal planted tank (dirted - low tech). The tank is cycled, pH is 7.2 and temp is about 78 F. 0/0/0 for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. And has been glass surfing in one corner of the tank pretty much nonstop since I drip acclimated and added to the tank. Though they’ve eaten quite a large number of pond snails.

I included a picture of the tank - I would like to think it has enough plants.

Came from fish store that de-worms. Was also captive bred. Is this behavior normal? If so, when should I start being concerned? Thanks!

upload_2019-7-6_13-39-56.jpeg

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Croeso welcome to fishlore give him chance to settle, if it was me I'd go by the 2 gallon rule and put another in with him, others say 10 gal min

3. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Valued MemberMember

I would put a buddy in too. It will help stave off boredom.

4. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

That tank is sufficiently planted, and a second could fit. It’s more about bioload and line of sight. The glass skimming, at least on the front glass can be a sign of wanting attention or food, but on the back and sides could be boredom and is not uncommon in puffers. Dan hiteshew did a video on how he stopped his figure 8 from surfing, you could watch that. Best of luck.

5. eustoma01

eustoma01Valued MemberMember

Tank is pretty small to keep more than one. Honestly I know people say a 5 gallon is enough for these guys, but I find that they are so inquisitive that they quickly become bored of such a small tank. I am upgrading mine to a 13 gallon and going to add a friend for it. Mine did glass surf when I first got it, but I added more and more plants, including some floating plants, and let the plants grow out as well and it no longer does that, though I do feel really bad for it sometimes because it watches me all the time if I am in the room on the weekends but I have no idea how to stimulate it other than feeding it differently now and then.

6. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

As long as you got good filtration and clean water I cant see a problem putting another in, when I setup my peacock cichlid tank I was advised to overstock to stop bullying so whats the difference, I did overstock and have had no problems