Help New Pea Puffer & Glass Surfing

Bbbecca

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my first post. I made this account to ask about pea puffers. This is my first one!

I got the pea puffer two days ago. He/she is solo in my 5 gal planted tank (dirted - low tech). The tank is cycled, pH is 7.2 and temp is about 78 F. 0/0/0 for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. And has been glass surfing in one corner of the tank pretty much nonstop since I drip acclimated and added to the tank. Though they’ve eaten quite a large number of pond snails.

I included a picture of the tank - I would like to think it has enough plants.

Came from fish store that de-worms. Was also captive bred. Is this behavior normal? If so, when should I start being concerned? Thanks!

upload_2019-7-6_13-39-56.jpeg

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Croeso welcome to fishlore give him chance to settle, if it was me I'd go by the 2 gallon rule and put another in with him, others say 10 gal min

Sheldon13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would put a buddy in too. It will help stave off boredom.

PatrickShrimp

Reaction score
That tank is sufficiently planted, and a second could fit. It’s more about bioload and line of sight. The glass skimming, at least on the front glass can be a sign of wanting attention or food, but on the back and sides could be boredom and is not uncommon in puffers. Dan hiteshew did a video on how he stopped his figure 8 from surfing, you could watch that. Best of luck.

eustoma01

Reaction score
Tank is pretty small to keep more than one. Honestly I know people say a 5 gallon is enough for these guys, but I find that they are so inquisitive that they quickly become bored of such a small tank. I am upgrading mine to a 13 gallon and going to add a friend for it. Mine did glass surf when I first got it, but I added more and more plants, including some floating plants, and let the plants grow out as well and it no longer does that, though I do feel really bad for it sometimes because it watches me all the time if I am in the room on the weekends but I have no idea how to stimulate it other than feeding it differently now and then.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you got good filtration and clean water I can't see a problem putting another in, when I setup my peacock cichlid tank I was advised to overstock to stop bullying so what's the difference, I did overstock and have had no problems

New Threads