New Parrot Breathing Odd - Is He Ok?

Crum

I got a baby blood parrot on Saturday. He's about 1 inch, currently in my 20 gallon with a couple mollies. I do plan on moving him to a larger tank by himself (either 40 or 55 gallons) within the next few months or so. But for now he's smaller than my mollies so he's fine in there.

One thing I have noticed is that he always seems to be 'breathing' really heavily. His gills extend out pretty far and fast. Any ideas why? This tank has been established for a year and I've never had a poor water quality test as far as I remember so I know it's probably not the water quality, ph temp and all is good for parrots as well, unless he doesn't like how hard my water is (I don't have a water softener in my building so)

I plan on adding a few more hiding spots once I find some (small town... they didn't have any big enough ones in every store that sells fish stuff .-.) he currently hides behind some driftwood in the tank. Whenever one of the (much larger than him) ghost shrimp or fish goes back there he nips at them so I assume he has claimed that area which seems good.

He's also been eating fine. Not enthusiastically, but when he sees some food float by him he will come out of his spot and eat it.

I also noticed that he is much less skittish when the lights of the tank are off. When they're on whenever I walk by the tank he quickly hides but when they are off he slowly explores the tank and doesn't seem to mind my presence. Still always breathes fast though.

He also seems to move around kind of odd. He doesn't really just stay in one spot he's always jiggling around in place back and forth (almost like his gill movement is pushing him backwards)

Is he ok? Is there anything I can do? ;-; more hiding spots maybe? it's been 3 days and I already love him so much I just want him to be ok!

Side notes- he's from petsmart so who knows if he already has something... I also didn't quarantine because of a few reasons (one of which being I can't have another tank)
I can get a video if it would be helpful.
Thanks

Beranga

A video would help a lot

Crum

Alright I have videos. I just added 3 more hides as well for him, so we'll see how that goes.

TwoHedWlf

I think all I've seen breath pretty fast. I think it's due to their deformities, they don't really get proper flow over their gills and their gills don't work as well as they should. Kinda like pugs and bulldogs with their breathing difficulties due to their deformed faces.

Crum

So you think he's fine?
He's acting like I think a normal parrot should aside from that.
It was so cute, I almost cried, he was in his new hide rearranging all the pebbles with his mouth ;u;

KO_

I hate to be "That" guy but judging by your short video and the amount of fish I saw you are pretty overstocked. Do you have recent parameters? What kind of test kit do you use? Did you acclimate?

Crum

It's not overstocked, I've checked (it's about 90% stocked) And over time I plan on moving more of the fish in there. Half of them are babies too, and the adults are only 2 or 3 inches long. There's 3 platys (one is a baby) and 3 mollies (2 are babies) plus it's a huge difference than what it was before, I used to have an 8in pleco and a few more mollies but I rehomed them.
Anyway yeah I tested my water yesterday
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0
Hardness 300ppm
Alkalinity about 50ppm
Ph about 7
Using tetra test strips, but almost out once I'm out I'll be buying the kit if I can find it.
Yes I acclimated him, floated for about 15 minutes and then slowly added a few cups of tank water to his bag before adding him.

Beranga

I am not an expert, but I have had three parrots on my tank for a while. Your baby does look a bit stressed, but I guess it is normal having those giant Mollies around .

Just give him a little time, and he will become king of the tank.

RonJ

Beranga said:
I am not an expert, but I have had three parrots on my tank for a while. Your baby does look a bit stressed, but I guess it is normal having those giant Mollies around .

Just give him a little time, and he will become king of the tank.
I agree. In fact he/she is flaring his gills to challenge. That's why he/she is breathing heavily. The flaring behavior is typical cichlid behavior to keep out other fishes. He/she doesn't trust the tank mates. You can even see he/she is chasing a molly.

It is breathing rapidly. They don't breath that fast. I have many BPCs with me. I can confirm that. Also what is the water temperature. Please do note that, they like around 78F.

Beranga

Crum said:
I got a baby blood parrot on Saturday. He's about 1 inch, currently in my 20 gallon with a couple mollies.
Yeah, Crum, ¿how is he doing?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom