New Panda Corries!!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Today I bought 3 panda corries. ;D Thay are so fun to watch. They are in my Q tank at the moment but will be put in the main tank when it is cycled!

I got them some Tetra Variety flakes. I gave them one to see if they liked them, and they went mad over it!! It was realy funny watching them all trying to eat the same flake!!

I only fed them one flake because if you look at it compared to their size it is realy quite big. The Corries are quite small - about 3/4 inch - realy cute!! Am I feeding the right amount? The flakes are round and are about 0.5cm in diametr. I noticed that half the flake was uneaten in the tank. Could they bee so young that the aren't eating much yet?

I want to name them but can't think of anything. My mum thought I should have three names that rhyme. I think thats a good idea but I can't seem to think of any three names that rhyme. What do you think?

Thanks

Gwenz

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the corys. I bought three panda cory's about 6 months ago and I haven't been able to find any more since. They must be really hard to breed. I love mine, they are my favorite corys. About names, how bout "Huey, Duey, & Luey?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I like the names I'll think about it, to see if I can think of more. I'll probably end up naming them Huey, Duey, & Luey if I can't think of anything.

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My first Otos were Winkin', Blinkin' and Nod from the Nursery Rhyme that I read to my children as they were so sweet that they reminded me of babies. Of course, I am so daffy about all my fish being my little ones . I do like Huey, Duey, and Luey as well.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't think of anything else to call them, so, meet Huey, Duey, and Luey ...

In the first picture there is 2 panda corries but there is one behind the othere so it looks like there is only one. In the second picture 2 of the corries are eating a small flake that I put in. (the flakes are camuflaged in the gravel, but I think they find it kind of fun trying to find them! ) And the third picture is just a picture I managed to take before he swam away (They are so fast!! )

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh they are so CUTE!! I wish I had some !! They are just so darling and I know that you will love having them. Congratulations and Best Wishes on the little guys.

Huey, Duey and Luey it is so nice to know you. We will watch your growing up with interest and hope you get along well with your brother when he get there.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ideas for names.....
Here are some names I'd give Panda Corries if I could find them around here:

Hsing-Hsing, Ling-Ling and Mei Xiang. After the famous bears in China, of course........

S.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
Oh they are so CUTE!! I wish I had some !! They are just so darling and I know that you will love having them. Congratulations and Best Wishes on the little guys.

Huey, Duey and Luey it is so nice to know you. We will watch your growing up with interest and hope you get along well with your brother when he get there.

Rose
At my lfs they weren't doing much but now they swim around everywhere in the tank! I think you will probably hear a lot about them from me as I just can't take my eyes off them.

They are so cute! - This morning we had a power cut for about 5-10 minutes (don't know why - very odd!) and they were all huddled together in the corner as if they were scared and knew something was wrong. Also, after I came home from school today and went to see them they swam to the top as if pleased to see me or something , then they went back down to the bottom again to eat the food I gave them.

I love them! Cheri Ann I like those names. Where do they come from or did you just think of them?

Gwenz

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Three Stooges!! My three panda's stay together alot too. I have 3 more assort. cory's in the tank and my panda's don't associate much with them. My husband say's the panda's are his favorite fish also, he loves watching them. My panda's and the other fish get sooo excited when they see me close to the tank. They think it's feeding time, even if I've just gotten thru feeding them . Sometimes I've seen one or two of the panda's zip across the tank like they're on crack or something. They've even been going so fast they will run into a plant or the side of the tank. I'm not sure why they do this and it doesn't happen often. I have one male and two female pandas and I've read that they are committed to their mate. I've seen this firsthand as the odd female out is often wandering around by herself. It's sad, I've look for another panda male for her but even Petco didn't have any panda corys. . I've also read that they won't interbreed with other types of corys. So, I'm still on the look-out for another male panda.

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the Huey, Duey, and Luey names came from a cartoon my son used to watch when he was very small, it was called "Duck Tales". Like with Donald Duck.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cheri Ann said:
The Three Stooges!! My three panda's stay together alot too. I have 3 more assort. cory's in the tank and my panda's don't associate much with them. My husband say's the panda's are his favorite fish also, he loves watching them. My panda's and the other fish get sooo excited when they see me close to the tank. They think it's feeding time, even if I've just gotten thru feeding them . Sometimes I've seen one or two of the panda's zip across the tank like they're on crack or something. They've even been going so fast they will run into a plant or the side of the tank. I'm not sure why they do this and it doesn't happen often. I have one male and two female pandas and I've read that they are committed to their mate. I've seen this firsthand as the odd female out is often wandering around by herself. It's sad, I've look for another panda male for her but even Petco didn't have any panda corys. . I've also read that they won't interbreed with other types of corys. So, I'm still on the look-out for another male panda.
I notice that 2 of my pandas are always together and one is always by itself. I don't know if they are males of females though. My lfs mix the males and females and so it's hard to get the ones you want. They even mix male and female guppies and other fish and I've seen a few fry in the tanks before! (They put the fry in a seperate tank when they notice them so they don't get eaten)

How can you tell if the corries are male or female? I read that the males are smaller than the fmales or something like that. Is that how you tell? If it is I think I have two males and 1 female as the bigger of the three (which is not very big - 3/4 inch at the most) stays with a smaller one, but the other small one is always by himself. :-\

I know what you meen about them speeding accross the tank. Mine are only small so when they do speed accros the tank they are just like a little 'blurs'!!

My lfs doesn't often have panda corries. But when they do they always have loads (2 -3 tanks of them). They must be realy hard to get or something, so when they find them they get as many as they can.

I put a flake in for them to eat at 4 O'Clock today, and they sink to the bottom and camuflage in the gravel (It's the same colour - but they are only in the Q tank at the moment and the gravel will be a different colour in their real tank). They only just found the flake right now (9 O'Clock here). Do they not want to be fed at that time or something, and need to be fed later at night? ???

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of the catfish type fish are nocturnal feeders and dont eat until the lights go off. So it may be that the Cories need to be fed like the Otos do at night and then left alone until the following night. That is why I am so glad to feed them veggie rounds or algae wafers as they can graze on those as they want them and I don't have to worry about them disintegrating in floating in the tank. It disintegrates but stays at the floor of the tank.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The Variety flakes I give them aren't like 'normal flakes' that I feed my other fish. They stay at the bottom. The eat them now. Maybe they were still getting used to the tank before.

Gwenz

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
My cory's can be sleeping peacefully, then when I drop some flakes in the tank, they wake right up, no matter what time it is, and they go scurrying around the tank for the flakes that float down to the bottom. They also love the algae wafers. As for telling the sex, I did alot of reading and research on cory's. The only way I can tell them apart is that the dorsal fin on the males is more pointed like a spike with the rest of the fin fanning out from it, on the females, the top fin is more blunt and rounded. Still, it's harder to tell them apart on the other types of cory's, but easier on the panda's. I read that they are very difficult to breed so that would explain the shortage on panda's in the IF's.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This may be a stupid question but I've never acctualy asked anyone or tried to find it out so I'll ask now, which is the dorsal fin?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rose. I've allways wondered that. I thought that but wasn't quite sure.

Thanks

Gwenz

badger

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got three Panda Corys too, they are so fast its crazy. Two of mine are constantly together in the cave while the third is always by itself. I believe they are all female, but I'm not sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom