New Otos

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Wednesday I got 4 Otos with 10 cardinal tetras. They are constantly roaming the tank and have already cleaned my glass pretty good. Just curioud how do these guys look to you guys.

That red dot doesnt look good to me what is it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the mess the cardinals left behind (micro pellets)
    [​IMG]

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It may be a different type of protozoa that you would treat similar to ich...

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Could it just be stress from the move from LFS to my tank?

So I should increase the temp to 86ish?

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Well, I know otos are notoriously delicate when first coming home from the LFS. I think it depends if the LFS was supplied by a breeder or if they were wild caught. The wild caught tend to be a little more delicate in their transition and will adjust better to tank life after it has been well established.

Do you have a QT tank you could move him into? Heat + aquarium salt wouldn't be a bad start.

5. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It could be an injury from shipping as it has a nice round belly so it's obviously eating well.
    I'd just keep the water pristine & keep an eye on it.
    I wouldn't recommend quarantining as moving it again so soon after only a few days could over stress it enough for it to keel over.

7. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Water parameters are
    Ammo 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 15
    Ph 7.6
    Temp 80-81

Can't do a QT as dad won't allow one but I will keep a close eye on him/her. Also it is from a reputable LFS that ive nevet seen drad fish in and th ey QT before selling also

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you can't QT, I would just keep an eye on it as well. Did he come home this way? If that's the case, Coradee may be correct. I was under the impression this developed after the fish came home.

9. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Im almost certain he didn't have the dot at my LFS but in but not sure about when firs introduced cause during drip acclimating (still 2hrs acclimating) them I got a call qnd had to leave so I tossed them in the tank and left. Pictures are from that night around 4-5 hours after being in the tank