New Otos

1. nexigen Member Member

I bought 3 Otos, they were the healthiest looking ones I could find (that's not saying a whole lot either). Two of them look good, fins up swimming around, they're even schooling it seems. They are all isolated in a cycled and planted QT.

The third, not so good. Dorsal fin is clamped down and so is one on his lower left side. He's also not doing circles like the other two.. circles for like 3 hours straight.. he just sits there smucked on the glass until one bumps into him - then he switches to another side.

Aside from the fins and lethargy, I see nothing wrong with him/her. I just bought them a couple days ago. The color of his/her back is light brown, more noticeably brown than the other two.

Water Parameters:

pH: 7.2
    KH: 4 drops
    Ammonia, Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: >10
    Tank is Cycled.

Attached Files:

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have one otto in my 75 (I have tried for more but they never last) and he is a very dark color and either sits on a leaf of a sword plant (He has two he uses lol) or hangs on the glass. Not a very active fish in the tank.

When you see him with the fins clamped is he at all in the flow of the filter or anything? Mine clamps right up if he is near any type of movement (usually a bubble wall)

3. nexigen Member Member

I don't think it has to do with current but I'll keep an eye on that.

It also looks slightly different than the others, more brown than grey, also fatter or flatter when looking down at it - I suspect it may be a female. I'm not ruling out egg laying yet.

I may just be paranoid since I got two of them at petsmart, might just be stressed from the transfer.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

might be, I would give it a little time to relax