New Otocinclucs behavior

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I introduced 4 Otos to my aquarium yesterday. A few of them have been hanging out at the top of the tank with their heads above the water's surface. This seems quite odd.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Gunzer

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had Otos go to the surface before. What are the tanks parameters & how did you introduce them to the tank? Did you just pour them from the bag or did you drip acclimate them over several hours?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also have Oto's and have never seen them sit up top. I would try like Nutter said and do a water test.If you I know Oto's are kinda fragile when introducing them to a new tank and should be acclimated very slowly and not just dumped in. Hope you have good luck!

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would never just dump fish into the tank. All parameters are correct, 0,0,10.

Plenty of oxygen, temp is 78. My PH is between 7.4 & 7.8 which is the only thing I can think of that is making for a difficult acclimation.

I added smaller than usual amounts of my tank water to their LFS bag for almost two hours before introducing them.

I am aware that these particular fish are more sensitive to new environments than most others. The head out of the water amphibian trick is what prompted this thread.

Gunzer

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, I was not implying you just dumped them in, only throwing it out there as a bad idea.

I did a little looking over the net and saw that "may indicate poor water conditions or low oxygen content by poking its snout above the surface of the water"

I know you said there is plenty of oxygen, but so far that is all I could come up with. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No worries blkdeath and thank you for that informative link

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom