New Oto owner... ID my Otos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So here's the story;
While walking through a seedier LFS looking for water conditioner, I happened to walk into their tanks.... In the last tank, I found a trio of otos who looked semi-healthy. Now, normally, I wouldn't even CONSIDER buying fish from this store, but I stopped one of the staff members and asked when the Otos had arrived at the store. They had been dropped off the afternoon before, and as they looked semihealthy, I netted them myself (not letting them traumatize my fish..) and brought them home.

I've been away at university since Sept, and haven't been home in two months, so my 15 gallon had been neglected by my brothers (as they didn't have me here nagging them once every two weeks to clean it on the weeks I didn't come home). Because of this, an unsightly pile of "gunk" has accumulated on the glass.... that semi-transparent algae that grows on just about every fish tank I've ever seen?...

I acclimated and dropped in the 3 otos, and they instantly went to town on the algae. I'd heard that they were difficult to keep alive for the first few days as they'll refuse to eat if they're stressed.

For reference; the 15 gallon houses the following:
AquaClear 20 (Mini) [cycling for use on my 46 gallon as a secondary filter) + AquaTech 10-20 + Heated to approx 78 + Aerated
7 Panda Corydoras
1 Dalmation Molly
1 Dwarf Gourami (recently deceased from DGD, purchasing a new one this week)
5 neon tetras

Something I noticed is that the three otos I had were drastically different in colouring. Two were the same, and one was markedly different. As this pet store is pretty seedy, it's quite possible that I have two different types of Oto. I'm new to oto's though, so I have no idea if I've just got a colour variation or two different types. Unfortunately, the day after they arrived home, I lost one of the otos (from the pair who looked the same).

The other two otos are still going strong a few days later. As I had only seen one of them, I tore the tank apart tonight when cleaning it (it needed to be done from the neglect anyway) and did a 75% water change, discovering the hiding places of Otobot and OtomusPrime (the names of the Otos).

I'm off tomorrow to go and raid some larger fish stores about an hour from home to see if I can get my hands on more Otos, as I know they are a schooling fish.

I've attached a couple pictures of Otobot and OtomusPrime. Are they just colour variations in the same type, or do I have different types?

Otobot is markedly lighter than OtomusPrime. Both have a dark circle in the centre of their tails. OtomusPrime has a darker body, and a dark stripe down his sides. Otobot has a very faint stripe down his sides and is MUCH lighter than OtomusPrime.

27.jpg
(Otobot Left, OtomusPrime Right)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/goopa_goopa/DSCF0369.jpg (Otobot)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/goopa_goopa/DSCF0358.jpg (OtomusPrime)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Otomus Prime looks like a Dwarf Otocinclus (Otocinclus Affinis).
Otobot looks like it may be a pale Parotocinclus Maculicauda or perhaps a Marbled Oto (Otocinclus Paulinus).

Hard to tell with the fuzzy pics. I'm certain of the first one but not so sure about the second guess.

OP
F

Fsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OtomusPrime is definitely an Otocinclus Affinis.

Otobot looks more like a Otocinclus Paulinus than the other one... but it's still not quite the same colouring. The problem is everytime I crack out the camera, Otobot freaks out and hides, or wiggles so much I can't get a clear picture. Camera-shy I guess.

Will Otos of different types be okay to school together (like corydoras do), or should I look to get more of the same type?

Thanks!

OP
F

Fsh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Otobot showed himself again this morning when I woke up. He and OtomusPrime were cruising around the front of the glass. Looks like Otobot was just stressed and therefore drained of colour, he's showing the colours of an Otocinclus Affinis now. Went to a store a little over an hour away and came back with another pair of Otocinclus Affinis (which are barely half the size of Otobot and OtomusPrime). THanks for all your help!

EDIT....
After seeing Otobot eating more, his colours are not the same as OtomusPrimes. His stripe is much less defined and he is overall lighter. Probably just a colour variation, but I'm not too worried about it. The 4 Otos in the tank are all eating well (Blanched Cucumber tonight). Otobot and OtomusPrime are both 4.5 cm long, and the two new otos are each 2.5 cm long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom