New Oscar owner seeking HELP!

bristoltonya

Im running a 65g tank. After full tank set up and water testing, I purchased two baby Oscars of the same size that were already tank mates at the pet shop (one tiger- which we refer to as "he" and one albino- which we refer to as "she"). After a day of getting acclimated to their new environment, they seemed to be thriving. They were both out, wiggling and eating well for two solid weeks with no issues. A few days ago we bought a new 24hr tank light. That very next day, my albino fish went sulking and hid out in the bottom corner of the tank. She wont come out and hasn't eaten for 2 days. I understand they can pout with new changes but Im concerned she isnt eating.

I should add, My Tiger "He" has more than doubled his size in the last couple weeks but She" (the albino), hasnt grown nearly as much. He seems to be bulling her and chases her out of her corner and she just quick swims to the opposite corner and lays back down on the bottom, both sides always hiding behind plants. Is he picking on the weak? Or is she actually sick and not just pouting? Or is she actually hiding out from him bc he got bigger? Is there something I should do for her? I have so many questions. Please help.

Dunk2

Im running a 65g tank. After full tank set up and water testing, I purchased two baby Oscars of the same size that were already tank mates at the pet shop (one tiger- which we refer to as "he" and one albino- which we refer to as "she"). After a day of getting acclimated to their new environment, they seemed to be thriving. They were both out, wiggling and eating well for two solid weeks with no issues. A few days ago we bought a new 24hr tank light. That very next day, my albino fish went sulking and hid out in the bottom corner of the tank. She wont come out and hasn't eaten for 2 days. I understand they can pout with new changes but Im concerned she isnt eating.

I should add, My Tiger "He" has more than doubled his size in the last couple weeks but She" (the albino), hasnt grown nearly as much. He seems to be bulling her and chases her out of her corner and she just quick swims to the opposite corner and lays back down on the bottom, both sides always hiding behind plants. Is he picking on the weak? Or is she actually sick and not just pouting? Or is she actually hiding out from him bc he got bigger? Is there something I should do for her? I have so many questions. Please help.

Welcome to Fishlore!

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Is the tank fully cycled? How long has the tank been running?

bristoltonya

Welcome to Fishlore!

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Is the tank fully cycled? How long has the tank been running?
Thank you. All of my levels are reading in the ranges as they should according to the charts. Ive only had the tank set up and cycling for 3 weeks. I just did my 1st partial tank cleaning today. Im very new.

86 ssinit

Best bet would be to move she :) to a different tank. I think she’s being bullied. Oscars are usually solo fish in tanks.

Dunk2

Thank you. All of my levels are reading in the ranges as they should according to the charts. Ive only had the tank set up and cycling for 3 weeks. I just did my 1st partial tank cleaning today. Im very new.

We’ll need exact water parameters to help you.

If your tank has only been running for 3 weeks, it’s likely not fully cycled yet. If it’s not fully cycled, you should be testing daily and possibly doing daily water changes depending on your test results.

What did you do to clean your tank today?

bristoltonya

Thank you. I think you might be right. I just right now witnessed her trying to come out to eat and he chased her back away. I dont have another tank but I think Im going to have my husband make a divider for me to separate them till she can get her size back up to compete with him. Orrrrrrrr......maybe they are both males and will never get along.
We’ll need exact water parameters to help you.

If your tank has only been running for 3 weeks, it’s likely not fully cycled yet. If it’s not fully cycled, you should be testing daily and possibly doing daily water changes depending on your test results.

What did you do to clean your tank today?
I used a rock vaccuum to suck out all the funk from the substrate and with that came a partial water change (about 1/3 of the tank). Didnt do a full tank clean since its still so new. I think she is cowering down to him being a bully bc he grew so much faster and is close to twice her size now. Im learning more and more about the temperament of these guys. Orrrrr.......If they are both males, will they ever get along?
Best bet would be to move she :) to a different tank. I think she’s being bullied. Oscars are usually solo fish in tanks.

idk

Ive got 3 oscars, 2 are tigers and one is albino in a 7ft (nearly 300gallons) and they get along fine. I'm assuming I only have 1 sex as I've never seen eggs or breeding attempts which is probably working in my favour. I keep them really well fed to reduce aggression as well. In my experience with my three, my albino Oscar was my first and therefore the first (Oscar) resident of the 7ft. He's only about 8 inches at the moment but he was 'boss' until I added a 12inch rescue tiger. I put a divider in at first so they could see each other and sort of get used to each other that way. Eventually the tiger kept knocking it over so I took it out and they challenged each other a bit to establish who was boss but nothing serious. I believe they had more success working it out because of the space and pieces of wood to break up the line of sight a little bit. Then I got another rescue tiger probably about 9 inches and I put him straight in. Same sort of deal he was picked on a little but nothing serious - just establishing the pecking order. Now my two tigers are practically besties! My albino more so hangs by himself but they aren't bothering each other. Occasionally there are little challenges but its never anything I worry about. I found my albino and the baby oscars my workplace used to get in were really sassy when they were young but I find adults are a lot less sassy. We got in both albino and tigers and it was always that the tigers picked on the albinos. Occasionally they didn't - particularly if they were new tigers or the albinos outnumbered them but we had to seperate them into different tanks at times. Albinos and tigers can definitely get along but I find it seems to be better once they're older.

If the tank is looking a bit cramped I would definitely upgrade as soon as you can so that both fish have more space and can avoid each other more easily. You could also try adding in more decor to break up the line of sight or rearrange your tank so your tiger doesn't see it as his territory anymore- although that may also do the opposite and cause them to challenge each other for the 'new' territory. You could also try adding more fish as a dither, although depending on the current size of your oscars and how soon you plan to upgrade that might not be wise. I found mine are somewhat similar to african cichlids in the way of the more fish you have, the less likely they are to target one specific fish since aggression is more evenly spread if that makes sense. If there's a really big difference in size, your safest option would be to seperate them- whether its another tank or a divider. I would definitely be trying to get food down to your albino so that he can eat. Sinking food might do the trick if he's hiding at the bottom in a corner! Just keep an eye that your tiger doesn't try to come steal it from him - maybe feed him floating pellets at the same time on the opposite end of the tank to keep him distracted!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KRose42
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
CichlidDream
Replies
Views