New Oranda

Inno

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
42
Points
63
Experience
4 years
Got this guy for free today off of craigslist. I was told he is a Thai Oranda. Mine are all red so super excited about this guy. His wen is already in his eyes tho. Gonna have to trim it back sooner than later. 20180516_215708.jpg
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Thats a beautiful goldfish!

Good luck with the wen trimming!

I stuck with lower quality goldfish and I’m feeding my fish low protein foods. I couldn’t even try to trim the wens on my orandas!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Inno

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
42
Points
63
Experience
4 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I stuck with lower quality goldfish and I’m feeding my fish low protein foods. I couldn’t even try to trim the wens on my orandas!
I will be going off of what is on youtube so fingers crossed. Does feeding low protein keep it from growing so much?
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Inno said:
I will be going off of what is on youtube so fingers crossed. Does feeding low protein keep it from growing so much?
From my research, it does help.

A lot of show goldfish are fed high protein diets.

Goldfish do better with lower protein as they can’t digest it well though.

Around 30-35% protein is good IME.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Inno

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
42
Points
63
Experience
4 years
I feed them a lot of fresh veggies, they love greens. I do goldfish granules, and shrimp pellets as well. Very rarely I give some flake as well. They even eat green beans.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,912
Reaction score
7,353
Points
598
Experience
Just started
Diet can play a role in the health of your goldfish. High protein foods for wen growth are not particulary healthy for the fish. Lower protein foods=slower growth=healthier and longer lived fish. Well, that’s probably the dumbed down version of it. Keep in mind that goldfish were domesticated from the Crucian or Gibel carp. Their wild ancestors are detritus and algae eaters and not very predatory.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Inno

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
42
Points
63
Experience
4 years
scarface said:
Diet can play a role in the health of your goldfish. High protein foods for wen growth are not particulary healthy for the fish. Lower protein foods=slower growth=healthier and longer lived fish. Well, that’s probably the dumbed down version of it. Keep in mind that goldfish were domesticated from the Crucian or Gibel carp. Their wild ancestors are detritus and algae eaters and not very predatory.
Probably plays a role in how they feed haha. They literally would eat almost anything dropped into the tank.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom