New/old 55 Gallon

Kay 240
So I just got a 55 gallon tank and stand for $80. What size filter do I want? How many gph do I need? Y'all recommend 200 gph for a 20 tall and the fish like it. I'm seeing numbers like 375 gph for canister filters for 100 gallon tanks. Just guessing that's not enough. No rush on answers because I need to air out the stand. Smells like incense and cats yuck. The tank is still in the back of my RAV4 but I want to air it out too. Will unload when I have some help,like tomorrow. I couldn't resist the price.

Dawn Michele
Congrats on the tank. I use 2 Penguin 350's on my 55. They do a great job.

Fashooga
Depends on what your going to run. When I had just tetras in there I ran a Marineland 350 HOB.

If you were to put fish that carry out a bigger bioload I would look at getting at least a Aquaclear 110 if you want a HOB. Heavier the load your in canister territory.

Kay 240
Cool and thanks. I'll have more questions when I get the tank in place. I've never had a tank this large and really wasn't planning on one until I retired in4 years

Drummindot
I’d run a large HOB and a canister filter. You can get a SunSun canister filter w/ UV that is rated for a 100 gallon for less than $70 on eBay.
That’s what I run on my 95. It also has an undergravel and HOB.

Kay 240
Thanks. Now another question this time about sand. I just bought a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand and the bag says its anhydrous silica and not to breathe the dust or get it on you. Am I going to get a lot of foam when I wash it?

Drummindot
Thanks. Now another question this time about sand. I just bought a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand and the bag says its anhydrous silica and not to breathe the dust or get it on you. Am I going to get a lot of foam when I wash it?

Pool filter sand is also called diatomaceous earth. It’s a silica sand that has thousands of tiny sharp edges. It is often used by organic farmers as a way to kill bugs b/c when an insect crawls across it their exoskeleton is shredded. These thousands of edges also translates to lots of surface area which is why it’s often used is pool and pond filters as a fluidized media.
Are you using it for substrate?
When you wash it just don’t breathe the dust that will be kicked up as it can cut the inside of your lungs and cause health problems.
Once washed it’ll make a nice white substrate for your tank.

Kay 240
Thanks that's what I thought bot just checking

Kay 240
I meant but. Stupid autocorrect

Kay 240
I have another question. If sun and enzymes don't get rid of the cat pee smell on the stand do you think the paint kills-it will? Or will I need a new stand? Sigh

Drummindot
Is it painted or wood stained? If it is finished like most stands are it doesn’t have polyurethane on it it’s just stained and polished. I have a homemade cat pee smell remover. After using the enzymes if the smell is still there mix 5 drops of clove oil and 1tsp lemon juice to a small spray bottle ( like you can get at Dollar Tree). Fill to the top with warm water and shake to mix. Spray generously and let dry in the sun for a couple of days. That has gotten most smells out for me. I hope the enzymes work for you though.

Kay 240
Thanks! It's wood stained, not sealed. It appears that they had an annoyed cat who used the back of the stand as an extra cat box. I understand the sandlewood incense now

Drummindot
Ewww! I never have understood how people tolerate that. I have 7 cats and none of them do that. Anytime I’ve had one that did they started crate training all over no matter the age. It’s never happened twice with the same cat. We’ve had all our cats for years now and I’ve not had to deal with training for a long time but why wouldn’t they treat/clean it? That’s probably why it was such a good deal. If you have cats it may attract them to do the same thing even if you paint it.
If it were me I’d build another stand and throw that one out. But I understand that that is not an option for everyone. I do hope the enzyme treatment works.

wodesorel
If it doesn't work, I had really good luck with sanding down a stand and repainting with a few coats of roll-on Rustoleum. We got a nasty smelling stand once that was in really good structural shape, and it only cost $10 to repaint. My cats have never reacted to it so I think it sealed the odor in for good.

Kay 240
I'm taking to work. One of the guys has a wood working serious hobby. He built his own house. He'll let me know if it's worth it. Thanks all

Kay 240
He said that if it's not worth repairing he'd made one. He also make his kitchen cabinets. It's GOOD to have friends.

Kay 240
And I count you all

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views
FisHobbyist
Replies
Views
itsayes