New numbers and water change question??

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I just tested the water and everything it great but my water it a little cloudy. Should I change it even with good numbers??

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0

Unsure what to do

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When did you last do a water change and vacuum the gravel? Numbers stay good only with regular cleaning, so if it's been a week or so since your last change, I'd go ahead and do another.

-Lisa

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahh, that could be the problem then! My tanks stay a little cloudy after a change and vacuum, especially the sand substrate tank, because of all the crud I stir up but it'll settle back down usually overnight.

-Lisa

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is your tank info correct? and what size tank is it? overstocking, over feeding, not enough filtration, out dated test kit(which could mean the tank is in a mini cycle or not cycled) are a few things that could cause cloudiness as well...

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok its a 5 gallon and the info is up to date. It has good filtration. My API test kit is new and the numbers above are new. The numbers have been the same for the last couple weeks. I might over feed now and then. I have just come out of the new tank cycle thing.

With the numbers I have is it safe to watch see if it clears?

My Mother says its clearer now than it was this morning. To tell you the truth I've looked at so much going through the cycle that I cant tell anymore.

I want to thank you all for your help.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now I am really confused.

This morning the water was even more cloudy, and the fish were not acting right. I did a 50% water change, after which the water is still cloudy.

I was thinking I would do another water change tonight of 40-50%, but the amquel + says I can only use it every 24 hours.

So can I do the second change or not???

I just don't know what to do. Should I test the water again. I tested it yesterday afternoon, and got 0, 0, ,5.0.

I really need help here.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sometimes cloudy water just happens especially in tanks under 1 year old. Here is a link on bacterial blooms that you may find helpful:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

Water changes will not necessarily clear your tank. It will just have to run its course over a short time. Be sure to do some gravel vacuums and don't over feed your fish.

Just because your water is cloudy doesn't always mean that you have poor water quality or that your tanks parameters are out of whack. Hang in there and be patient

Ken

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so this is just the end of the cycle? So I shouldn't change the water to night?

What about my Guppy running into things??

BTW thank you so much for your help. It means a lot to me. I've kept these little guys alive all the way through the new tank Cycle it would kill me to lose one of them now. FYI I started this tank last week of Feb. 2010.

thanks again

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi ayelie,

I can't say for certain as to why your Guppy is running into things. My best guess would be that the cycling process may have taken its toll on the fish. Sometimes it happens and fish can suffer long term side effects of ammonia poisoning. That's one reason that it's best to do a fish-less cycle. Sometimes even when using TSS, if it isn't done correctly the fish may be exposed to ammonia for some time.

Keep in mind that you can't always blame yourself. We don't really know what these fish go through from the time they leave the breeders to the fish store and what they go through in the fish store can be awful.

I see that you've tested and tested again, your test kit is good, your #'s show that you're cycled and no rise in ammonia. If you still have 0,0,5 for readings now I don't think I'd worry about another water change today. Try and relax a bit

A water change is just about always good for your fish. However, you don't want to over do it. I saw Shawnie mention in another thread "over cleaning can be just as bad as not cleaning" and I agree with this.

Bacterial blooms can happen even if your tank has been cycled for sometime. It doesn't always mean that it's the end of a cycling tank.

Keep us posted.
Best wishes for your fish.
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom