New Nerite Snail Owner, What is this??

spaghettinodle

Hello. I have bought two Nerite Snails from Petco. I have a black one and I guess this white one? When the worker pulled it out she said it has a weird shell, after further looking at the snail, it kind of worries me. As you can see in this photo, it looks to be a huge rock mass growing on the snail? It moves around fine, it’s eating, but I’m very curious to know what it’s on it? It looks to be maybe a brown/gold color originally.
2264D1C8-12B9-4DB8-80B4-A9AC4042E882.jpeg

Betta'sAnonymous

I think the picture isn't attached? Not showing for me!

smalli

spaghettinodle said:
Hello. I have bought two Nerite Snails from Petco. I have a black one and I guess this white one? When the worker pulled it out she said it has a weird shell, after further looking at the snail, it kind of worries me. As you can see in this photo, it looks to be a huge rock mass growing on the snail? It moves around fine, it’s eating, but I’m very curious to know what it’s on it? It looks to be maybe a brown/gold color originally.
hi not sure if im the only one but i think you will have to re-upload the photo. Wait for it to say 100% uploaded and then i can see it. P.S welcome to fishlore

Betta'sAnonymous

Maybe a big barnacle or something? They do usually get caught in brackish water n such.

spaghettinodle

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I think the picture isn't attached? Not showing for me!
i think i added it now? i’m not sure.

StarGirl

I have been here a while and that is the strangest thing I have seen yet. Is the shell just really deteriorated?

spaghettinodle

StarGirl said:
I have been here a while and that is the strangest thing I have seen yet. Is the shell just really deteriorated?
I’m not sure. I just bought them saturday, first time snail owner. It moves around a lot though, is eating the left over fish food and everything. I was just very curious.

smalli

spaghettinodle said:
I’m not sure. I just bought them saturday, first time snail owner. It moves around a lot though, is eating the left over fish food and everything. I was just very curious.
was it in a brackish water tank?

spaghettinodle

smalli said:
was it in a brackish water tank?
i don’t think so. i think it was just a regular freshwater tank. i have a 10 gal freshwater tank it’s in, with another nerite snail who is black shelled. i asked the worker and she had just said “huh that’s weird. i don’t know what that is.”

smalli

spaghettinodle said:
i don’t think so. i think it was just a regular freshwater tank. i have a 10 gal freshwater tank it’s in, with another nerite snail who is black shelled. i asked the worker and she had just said “huh that’s weird. i don’t know what that is.”
lol have you tried to remove it? if i were you i would like to very gently tug on it and see if it comes off easlisy. If it doesn't move i wouldn't try to pull it. BEFORE you do this i just would like someone else to confirm that this is the right thing to do if u don't want it on.

Betta'sAnonymous

I still vote for barnacle. Biggest i have seen on a nerite, though. Beyond that, i am clueless.

spaghettinodle

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Maybe a big barnacle or something? They do usually get caught in brackish water n such.
i’m not sure, it’s just really weird. doesn’t seem to be affecting the snail though, just trying to see if i could figure out what it was!
smalli said:
lol have you tried to remove it? if i were you i would like to very gently tug on it and see if it comes off easlisy. If it doesn't move i wouldn't try to pull it. BEFORE you do this i just would like someone else to confirm that this is the right thing to do if u don't want it on.
i haven’t no, i have been to afraid to handle the lil guy/girl, i don’t want to possibly hurt them.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I still vote for barnacle. Biggest i have seen on a nerite, though. Beyond that, i am clueless.
i wouldn’t even know they could get on them, as i bought it from a pet store, i think it was freshwater. but it could have attached sometime if they ever had it in there at some point? i wouldn’t be to sure on how old they are. either way both of the snails hitch rides on each other, and love moving around tank. they’re pretty fast!

b33fsquatch

From what I understand, it's very difficult to breed nerites. I would think the odds are good that the nerite was wild-caught.

richiep

It almost looks like a calcium build up
If you do pick him up and its on the glass make sure you put your hand underneath and gently slide up the glass and it'll falls off, and when you put it back in turn him upside down and lower to the bottom and just before the bottom turn him right side up and place down
This helps to expell any air that gets trapped inside the shell

Latest threads

Top Bottom