New Nerite haven't moved

1. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

So, I've never been an owner or caretaker of any snail. My girlfriend showed up with two Tiger Nerite and had them in the tank while I wasn't in the house. Each was placed on different sides of the divider and neither betta has even poked around or near either snail.

My concern is that they haven't moved or come out of their shell to nose around since we've had them for a couple days. Nothing in the way of spikes and nitrates are being held in check with nitrazorb.

[​IMG]

Neither snail smells or plops out with the Ketchup test. (Shaken like a bottle of Ketchup, not put in Ketchup)

Edit: I'm aware of the ammonia and this only rose after the snails. No picture before.

2. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

How long have you had them? They may just need some adjustment time.

3. OP
    OP
    Grimund

Truthfully, only a few days. It's just startling me there's been no movement

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

same thing happened with mine, I know they were alive because they would come out of the shell and stick to the glass, but they stayed in the same place for a full week without moving.

EDIT: after that I returned them because I realized I couldn't keep them at the moment

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe don't shake them quite as hard as you would a ketchup bottle haha. They'll smell pretty bad when they're dead.

Sometimes it can take them a while to move. Mine has been in the same spot since Wednesday and he has been in the tank for over a year.

6. OP
    OP
    Grimund

They haven't come out, though. No glass surfing, or movement across substrate. They have their trap door shut

7. MongooseALaMode

Maybe take them out and out them upside down in your hand for a few minutes? Mine will always try to right themselves in that situation

EDIT: I also have olive nerites that ONLY move at night.. But that wouldn't make a difference if they haven't moved in the tank at all

8. OP
    OP
    Grimund

I'll try that. Are they okay out of water for that long?

9. MongooseALaMode

Yeah sometimes mine cruse around just above the waterline. My olive and batik nerites stay on the underside of the hood all day and only venture into the water when the lights go out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    Grimund

If they don't try to right themselves, have they kicked the bucket?

11. MongooseALaMode

Do they smell? I would just put them back in the water and wait a few more days.

12. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Yeah give em a whiff. If it doesn't make you wanna hurl, they may be alive still.

13. OP
    OP
    Grimund

No smell yet. I'll check in two days. I just don't want an ammonia spike from dead snails as it would stop me from getting a refund.

I could fudge the water with bottle and tap as I have high nitrates (nitrazorb has them at 25% what they were), but I'm worried

14. OP
    OP
    Grimund

I've read a post in a similar thread and Lucy suggested it.

15. OP
    OP
    Grimund

No smell and no attempt to upright :( I feel kinda horrible

16. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

just leave them alone for a while,

17. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Any movement today?

18. OP
    OP
    Grimund

None from either. Still right where I placed them

19. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully they'll start moving around soon. :(

What were they doing in the tank when she purchased them, and do you have any idea how she acclimated them? Also, any idea what the water is like where they were purchased vs. where they are now?

20. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would leave him be, only checking every few days to see if he's dead. There's not much you can do for him at this point anyway, and it might help to leave him alone for a while (i.e. no disturbing or shaking, etc.).