New Nerite Hasn't Moved

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This past Friday I bought a zebra nerite snail and I put him and a new betta into a new 5.5g tank that I seeded with existing filter media from my 36g. The nerite has not moved one bit since Friday night. I left a piece of a veggie round in there all day yesterday, and he still didn't move. I eventually removed the wafer piece as I didn't want it cause an ammonia spike.

I know I've read that snails sometimes take their time in getting settled in a new tank, but when should I start getting concerned that he may be dead? It's coming on 3 days. I'm really not looking forward to the smell test. I've done it before and just the thought of it makes me want to hurl.

Should I give him a couple more days? Any other suggestions on how to tell if he's still alive besides smelling it? I'm just worried that the longer I wait, and if he's been dead, it'll foul up the water.

PS - I am 99.9999% sure that the betta hasn't bothered him. The betta is having his own issues (not much of a swimmer AT ALL) and I haven't once seen him swim over to the side of the tank the snail is in.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was worried about my nerites too as they didn't move in a while, but I could always see their little antennae moving. Can you see any movement from him?

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't really tell. He is sitting down in a depression in the sand in the back corner area of the tank, so it's really hard to see.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's dead. I used forceps to pick him up to move him and he fell right out of the shell. Gross.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry about that

At least you didn't have to do the sniff test! Do you think he was dead when you bought him? Maybe they'll exchange him for you for free.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I breathed out of my mouth the entire time I was picking his pieces out and putting them in a baggie.

Im not sure when he died. Could've been dead when I bought him, died on the way home, or died shortly after going in the tank.

The store is an hour away so I think I'm just going to cut my losses.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Not looking forward to that if mine kick the bucket

EDIT: That's what I get for opening a discussion and coming back to it 20 minutes later

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry about your loss, Geoff. What's going on with the betta?
Thanks. And funny you should ask. I think I solved the betta problem. I'll post in the other thread about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom