New Neons Lost Red Color

Goldiemom
I know the color can fade at night but I bought 4 new Neons today and their red is now completely gone. The blue is bright. Is this normal for new tetras? I bought them from a reputable LFS store. They seem fine otherwise.

Junne
How many do you have total and what other fish do you have in the tank?
What about the temps?
Neons get stressed fairly easily - I'm guessing that might be the case. How did you acclimate them?

Mine have lost color for a few days although not the completely gone red as you say - do you have pictures?

Warren Tyler
Personally I find neon tetras to be good indicators of water problems, if there is something off in the water the neon tetras are the first in my tanks to start acting strange.. More tank paramaters would be helpful, size and amount of fish ect.. Altho those being so new, I would not worry about it just yet, the move to the new tank has probably stressed them out and will take them a day or two to return to normal while they get use to the tank..

jlm418
Personally I find neon tetras to be good indicators of water problems, if there is something off in the water the neon tetras are the first in my tanks to start acting strange.. More tank paramaters would be helpful, size and amount of fish ect.. Altho those being so new, I would not worry about it just yet, the move to the new tank has probably stressed them out and will take them a day or two to return to normal while they get use to the tank..
I agree I can always tell if I need a water change by how my neons look. I would guess somethI g is off with the water.

Goldiemom
They are in a 10G Qt tank that has been cycled for quite some time. I bought them and 3 platies today. That’s all that is in there. They are all getting along fine. I’ve had the light off most of the day. Water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates o.5. Just moved fish out of it yesterday and did a 90% w/c and gravel vac’d it all for new crew coming in.

Wraithen
They may be stressed just from the confines of the qt tank and the move

Goldiemom
Day 3 of new Neon Tetras and they still are not showing any red in their colors. They are swimming and eating fine but not red. Could this still be stress of the new QT tank. I had 4 in there before and they never lost their colors. They were in with 3 fancy guppies. Those have now gone on to my 29G tank. These will too after the QT.

Goldiemom
Well, I just called my LFS where I purchased the tetras. They had both green and red neon tetras. I apparently purchased the green ones by mistake. Oh well, hope they shoal with my 4 red neons. Another lesson learned.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
Pythia
Replies
Views
drewlers
Replies